Foster homes urgently needed for German Shepherds

I'm putting out an appeal for any GSD confident people who may be able to find a space in their hearts and their houses to take in temporary residents who are looking for homes occasionally.

The dogs that we foster out are those who aren't really suitable for kennels, either because they're elderly, or they're on medication, have ongoing health needs or because they're really vulnerable and they will suffer emotionally as a result of being in a kennel environment.

There's no pay, and all of the volunteers pay for their own fuel too (me included) but you have the lovely feeling of helping out dogs who are in their hour of need until they get a new forever home.

We try very hard to match dogs to foster homes as well as we can, but volunteers will need to understand that with a dog coming in from the dog warden or the pound, there are sometimes surprises (both good and bad) which we have to manage together.

Home checks will be carried out before dogs are placed and this is an opportunity to ask lots of questions as well as filling in a form.

Please don't respond to this unless you are confident handling dogs which are large and often assertive or display defensive behaviour because of their circumstances.

I'd love to hear from you if you are a shepherd person who could offer a temporary home to any of our dogs in rescue.

My PM box is closed because of the number of people who think that it's a good way of bypassing the Helpdesk, but you can email me on [email protected] or use the GSDR contact form http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/adoption.html to register an interest in fostering. Either way will get to me :)

Thank you.

I resided with a 3 year old GSD who is the most lovely dog you could wish to meet. anyways dont you want to find full time homes for the dogs?

We do want to find a permanent home, and we always do find permanent homes for our dogs, but in the time between being picked up from whatever pound where they are on death row or when there's a genuine emergency situation which means that they can't stay in their previous home we rely on a small army of people who are prepared to open their homes to an extra beastie on a temporary basis.

We're running particularly short of foster carers who can take a dog in for anything from a few days to a few weeks in this area, which is why we're appealing for more. No matter how many great permanent homes we find we will always need foster carers too.

thetruth - foster homes are better for all dogs when it comes to rehoming. It avoids the stress of the kennels (which can show false behaviour in a dog - ie a dog might look a handful and boisterous or noisy when usually would not be due to the stress), and also allows the dog to get used to a home enviroment if they are not, and allows the rescue to get to know the dog so that the dog can be rehomed properly into a suitable home (thus reducing chances of being put back into the rescue again).

I have currently a foster dog, and have no experience with GSD's myself but i would love to one day give it a go. Perhaps firstly get some experience with the breed though! :hihi:

Medusa i have e mailed you, can you let me know if it dosent arrive

I would love to foster another gsd as ive just had one of mine put to sleep :'-( but i have an 9month old daughter and a 12year old gsd dont think id fit the criteria :-{