Mods old and new

Yep i remember it well....dozens of scooters at STINGFELLOWS MOJO on BURNGREAVE ROAD then off to Skeg for the Mods n Rockers riots, pints of Barnsley bitter in the Ship on the sea front, this was in the mid 60s when i was 16/17 tears old, happy days, todays kids don't know what they've missed!

For Garage groovers, psychedelic movers, freakbeat ravers, big boss britpop, funky rock and essential 60's poppers.

Beat Surrender

O2 Academy2 Sheffield

Saturday 2nd Feb 2013

Door time: 11pm/straight after Jake Bugg show

FREE ENTRY!

Expect to hear a mixture of Classic 60’s Soul, Motown, Ska alongside Mod & Britpop.

http://www.o2academysheffield.co.uk/event/50143/beat-surrender-tickets

I ride a Harley, but I always stop to help your lads, anyone who doesn't live in a tracksuit is a result in my world. Good luck and take care dudes.

I was a Rocker or a greaser as they called us in those days,I can always remember they seemed to out number us every time but we always made a good account of our selves in the scraps we also had the faster motorbikes and bigger boots to kick their heads in,they always seemed to have the better looking birds though, summer bank holiday runs to Skeggy would be a fun filled week end of mod bashing and boozing sleeping on the beach and a rainy ride back home flying past all the scooters on the way with their silly Parker's billowing in the wind fond memories

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 00:13 ----------

I used to go skating on a friday night (too young for a scooter) but I remember some of the fights outside with bike chains etc. Does anyone remember a Greaser who I think was called Eskimo. Great days!

Yes Eskemo was a good friend of mine I haven't seen him for many years though,we came from the Heely rockers hanging around the Bridge pub and mustard seed cafe in town,last time I saw him he was running that pub at the bottom of the Moore god knows how many years ago. one of the funny things about Eskemo was he was a real rubbish bike rider and he once turned up at the barly corn on a Honda 50 plastic when we had all finished laughing we spent the night popping wheelies up and down the road out side the pub on it till the coppers turned up.

Edited by Shogun

eh?

and the mod revival era was late 70s on :P

mainly sparked by quadrophenia

The Mod Revival fashion was sparked by Quadrophenia, but there were people dressing like mods who followed bands like The Jam (and to a lesser extent in Scotland, The Jolt, another three piece band) a few years before that.

I was a Rocker or a greaser as they called us in those days,I can always remember they seemed to out number us every time but we always made a good account of our selves in the scraps we also had the faster motorbikes and bigger boots to kick their heads in,they always seemed to have the better looking birds though, summer bank holiday runs to Skeggy would be a fun filled week end of mod bashing and boozing sleeping on the beach and a rainy ride back home flying past all the scooters on the way with their silly Parker's billowing in the wind fond memories

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 00:13 ----------

Yes Eskemo was a good friend of mine I haven't seen him for many years though,we came from the Heely rockers hanging around the Bridge pub and mustard seed cafe in town,last time I saw him he was running that pub at the bottom of the Moore god knows how many years ago. one of the funny things about Eskemo was he was a real rubbish bike rider and he once turned up at the barly corn on a Honda 50 plastic when we had all finished laughing we spent the night popping wheelies up and down the road out side the pub on it till the coppers turned up.

That sounds a right laugh. I would love to do that now :(

That sounds a right laugh. I would love to do that now :(

Mate, i know the family well, maybe i could sort something if you can source a couple of plaggies. !

Mate, i know the family well, maybe i could sort something if you can source a couple of plaggies. !

My first bike ride was on the 90cc version . . . . . a red and white one :gag::D and I fell off.

Denlin I think you're a few years early with 1963. That may have been the case with a few arty types in poshish areas of London but I recall it became more of a mass movement 67, 68 as expressed in parkas, scooters, rivalry with greasers.

Re: Eskimo, is that the same Eskimo who was "king" of the kop at Bramall Lane ?

Mod "birds" with short hair used to really turn me on (not skinhead short). I still have a "thing" for women and shortishish hair.

Did own a N.S.U.Prima for cruising also many bikes, had to upgrade when the kids came along, one big Laugh was at Skeggy dressed in leathers and bike boots pushing a push chair with 1or 2 kids??walking along the front I heard clump clump and looking back was about 100 plus Rockers which overtook so we was in the middle playing it cool all was going well untill some women on the side (big mouth) said just look they're even bringing kids to there rumbles LOL

What made me laugh was how all the mods overnight morphed in to skinheads

summer 69-70 they were all walking about with shaved heads and doc martins,I remember the same faces,we just grew our hair longer and got more scruffy,

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 10:57 ----------

My first bike ride was on the 90cc version . . . . . a red and white one :gag::D and I fell off.

How to pop a fab wheelie on a Honda plastic remember they don't have a clutch just sit right back on the seat give it full throttle and stamp on the gear peddle it will pop wheelie like mad.:D