Dogs sleep pattern gone to pot

Got an 18 month old staff x sharpei

Hes gone all that time sleeping 10hrs / night without any problems what so ever in his cage(BETTER than what we ever got out of the daughter)

Now for some reason hes up every 2 hrs at night as if his body clocks got mixed up-

We,ve tried leaving a light on-a radio- the cage door open

Hes now getting out and scratching on the room door

Any suggestions gratefully received

These sleepless nights are now getting annoying-2 weeks is enough :huh:

Is he needing a wee when he wakes up? Is he going more often during the day? Maybe he has a urine/kidney infection (though I'd have thought he'd be obviously unwell e.g. being sick). How about posting this in the pets' section?

Is he needing a wee when he wakes up? Is he going more often during the day? Maybe he has a urine/kidney infection (though I'd have thought he'd be obviously unwell e.g. being sick). How about posting this in the pets' section?

No - his toilet patterns fine - always goes before bed etc

Goes during the day but nothing seems to have changed and is eating well

He sometimes need prompting to have a drink - but then again hes always been that way so really nothing is any different in him

heres to yet another disturbed night ---:(

So long you know he is'nt ill. :( you have got to ignore him, i think he might be, attention seeking , Cotton wool or ear plugs thats what i used,works wonders :)

Edited by goldenbabe1966

I was just typing out the same thing goldenbabe. The big downside of them disturbing you is that they work out that they can get attention any time they make a fuss, so you have to go through the doggy version of controlled crying like you do with a toddler who has worked this out and plays their parents up.

Make sure that he's tired, he's safe, he's not ill and then put his crate at least 2 rooms away from you, so if he's in the kitchen make sure that there are at least 2 closed doors between you, so even if he gets out of his crate he can't get to you.

Put him to bed at the same time every night, regardless of whether you're going to bed at the same time. Shut him in with his bed and some toys and then leave him to it for the night and don't pay him any attention at all if he makes a fuss.

It may take a few days for the penny to drop that you won't come when he calls, but it will eventually. I hope it's soon :)

I was just typing out the same thing goldenbabe. The big downside of them disturbing you is that they work out that they can get attention any time they make a fuss, so you have to go through the doggy version of controlled crying like you do with a toddler who has worked this out and plays their parents up.

Make sure that he's tired, he's safe, he's not ill and then put his crate at least 2 rooms away from you, so if he's in the kitchen make sure that there are at least 2 closed doors between you, so even if he gets out of his crate he can't get to you.

Put him to bed at the same time every night, regardless of whether you're going to bed at the same time. Shut him in with his bed and some toys and then leave him to it for the night and don't pay him any attention at all if he makes a fuss.

It may take a few days for the penny to drop that you won't come when he calls, but it will eventually. I hope it's soon :)

done all of the above and we think your right with him thinking hes boss so to speak

the only trouble being he basically chewed his way out of the cage :rant:

so now the door wont close thats given him the chance to scratch the door in the kitchen --im a stickler for mi pine doors not being antiqued by him so a punishment is a water sprayer -

a quick blast seems to be working at the minute but its taking 2 or 3 goes / night -like you say I HOPE ITS SOON :roll:

done all of the above and we think your right with him thinking hes boss so to speak

the only trouble being he basically chewed his way out of the cage :rant:

so now the door wont close thats given him the chance to scratch the door in the kitchen --im a stickler for mi pine doors not being antiqued by him so a punishment is a water sprayer -

a quick blast seems to be working at the minute but its taking 2 or 3 goes / night -like you say I HOPE ITS SOON :roll:

Give him some raw hide bones , not the thin one's, but the really thick strong one's, my staffy has never chewed anything , he sleeps in the kitchen, and we dont get a peep out of him :) at night ................even though he sits, and demands your attention,(the typical staffy talk that they do ):roll:(but never at night ) buggerlugs lol

At the moment he's got you where he wants you :hihi: sorry to say :hihi:

AS I TOUCH WOOD :)

We seem to have got over our little sleeping problem-god I hope im not typing too soon

now for a miracle cure for his loose hairs---

AS I TOUCH WOOD :)

We seem to have got over our little sleeping problem-god I hope im not typing too soon

now for a miracle cure for his loose hairs---

get a full shar-pei next time they only shed twice a year,they dont malt like a normal dog as they only have one layer of fur instead of 3 like most dogs,they shed for summer then again for winter. loose hairs cured :hihi::hihi:

i,d have been happier with no sharpei at all thanks

hopefully this'll be his summer shedding then

i,d have been happier with no sharpei at all thanks

hopefully this'll be his summer shedding then

Why what's wrong with Sharpeis? They're my favourite dog, wish I could have one.