Tempered springs ltd warren ST

Hi Helical Harry

You worked at Park Springs i did from 1972 to 80 trying to think who you are I had good times there

Andrew here,

I started with Tempered Spring in Labs at 17yo (1984) and spent over 20 years until the Americans shut it down (when it was Meritor) apart from the valve spring section and Tempered Tools. A joined after the Youngs (owners) era. Was still part of Turner & Newell group when I joined.

My first boss was Eric Rotherham and Tim Petty under him. MD at the time was Keith Mason and I also came under Brian Woodward at some point. Worked in same area as Neil Hawksworth too for a while. Finance Director was David Hallam, Maintenance Manager then Manufacturing Director Jeff Forrest. Technical Director then MD for a while was a guy called Ian but don't recall his last name now.

During my time there I went from Lab Tech/Metallurgist to Process/Production Engineer then in Projects Engineering and my final role before closing was as Maintenance Engineer/Supervisor. I was one of last ones out having to close the place down 😞 working under Alan Pashley & Brian Woodward when Alan left.

Few other memorable people I remember not already mentioned spanning my 20+ years:  David Hunter (Sales), John Wheatly (Quality/Inspection), Pete on Robotic Cold Bending Cell I developed/looked after (all great men to work with on there), Richard Kindell (Eng Mng for couple short years). Jim, Electrician in Valve Spring department, John Bagshaw - Supervisor in Foley Street. Many more keep popping into my head.

This says the small bit that was left after the Meritor shut down was Dissolved in 2015  The Tempered Spring Company Limited - Company Information - Yorkshire Companies

Still have fond memories of my time at Tempered. If it hadn't been shut by the Americans I'm sure I would have been there many more years.

Points that stick in my Mind:

Being offered Quality Managers job in Michigan in US at 21 but ended-up backing out

Being person to sort out the Italian Induction Line that was an engineering **** up, working with the great fitters/electricians to get it actually working! 

In charge of and development of the Robotic Cold Bending Cell and for a while only person on site that could programme the Industrial PLC's and Robots.

Two weeks living at work trying to get the factory up again after the Sheffield flood when we had 6ft of water inside and got around foley street production area in a boat!

Finding solution on Shot Peening area to ensure we didn't stop the Ford Mondeo production line costing £1M/day in fees!

Some nice international business Travel including US, Italy, Sweden.

Company funded over 10 years of my further education after leaving School.

Would be great to hear from other old hands. 

Was over 1200 people when I joined, dropped and hovered to around 280 for many years until the Meritor takeover. Think it died 3 or 4 years after they took over.

Edited by psikey