Help! What Have I Bought??

I was doing my weekly shop in Morrisons at Halfway last night and picked up a Magnolia Soulangeana that's approx 12in tall and looks in brilliant condition (lots of leaf buds etc). There are no other name details listed other than M. Soulangeana, and the picture on the front is of a typical pink-tinged cream Magnolia flower such as you get when you Google this name.

The label says that it will grow to between 2 and 4m tall, however everything that I can find on the internet says closer to 6m and now I'm panicking a bit about what I have bought!! I don't have room for a 6m tree!!!! :help:

Some of the other Magnolias in the shop had names such as Susan, but this one didn't. Anybody who can offer help or advice as to what I might have bought would be much appreciated!!

I wouldn't worry.

My Magnolia Soulangeana was about 1m tall when I planted it,and it's about 4m now,after over 30 years,so you shouldn't have any problems with space for 50 years or so!

Don't expect flowers for a few years,but when it settles down to flowering it will be the best thing in your garden.

The height on the label refers to the size of the plant after 10 years. It will take a lot of years to get to 6m. These sizes also refer to plants that are grown in ideal growing conditions too...

stunning trees, but v slow growing in my opinion too. Enjoy - my favourite tree :)

I believe the tallest one in Europe is in Klein Gardens in Swansea (Mumbles)

Thanks for all the help - feeling much calmer about it now!!

Just need to figure out where to put it now!

I think they like acid soil. The botanical gardens has a few growing together, they make a beautiful sight.