Freebee bus Service

I keep hearing rumours that this bus service is finishing afrer March 2011. Does anyone know if this is true or just a rumour and what about the Rotherham one?

there is no such thing as free, some one is paying for it

well you know what the op means..free as in free to get on at the time of travel...yes i did read some where that the freebee bus was being withdrawn from service..think it was the star ..so must be true

the council have to cut cost, that type of service will be first to go

Hope so. It's awful. Full of drunks and druggies.

TM Travel currently have a contract to operate the Sheffield Freebee service on behalf of SYPTE until March which was when the initial funding runs until.

I haven't heard any official public announcements as to the future of the service beyond then.

However many of the journeys offered by the Freebee can be made on commercial bus services that pass through town - although of course not free for those without a pass - however First only charge 50p for journeys within the City Centre and those arriving in town by bus may have an all day rider ticket anyway.

Some alternatives available:

Interchange-Castle Markets/Snig Hill: 31,53,57,58,66,78,79

Interchange-Arundel Gate: 14,69,73,A1

Interchange-High Street/Church Street-West Street: 40,95,120

Castle Markets-Town Hall & Moorfoot: 25,25A,75,76,87,97,98

Moorfoot-Interchange: 43,44,44A,65,79,214,252,272

the council have to cut cost, that type of service will be first to go

The Council don't control or subsidise bus services. That is SYPTE's role.

But you are right, there will be less money available and SYPTE will be looking to cut costs like everyone else in the public sector.

I know a chap who actually drives for TM and operates the Freebee on occasions. I asked him if he knew anything about the service stopping and he told me he hasn't heard anything to suggest it is.

I know a chap who actually drives for TM and operates the Freebee on occasions. I asked him if he knew anything about the service stopping and he told me he hasn't heard anything to suggest it is.

He will not be told till nearer the time, the company dont want him to leave yet and they will be short of driver