3/12/2010 - Christmas light switch on Longley 4G

i think the lights are rather nice to see, especially when i am walking home from work at night, although i do think more advertising is needed for the 4greens, i live on raisen hall and i dont know much about them, im sure more people would be interested it what you offer if they only knew about it :)

Jane2008 - 4 Greens statement is not strictly accurate as they have had a lot of money from the council over the years including some funding this year - so to say that you don't get owt from the council is not true.

Quite what they do, is another matter - it seems to me the cafe aside. They are part of the SOAR empire.

I am a local resident and saw the lights (on the three lamp posts) and was a bit underwhelmed - have they put any more up yet. It'd be nice to have had some grit bins instead of the lights - they'd have been more use in the current weather conditions.

Thanks for that GreenManWalk. According to a different thread on Sheffield Discussions they are also responsible for the Christmas tree at Magnet roundabout and more lights near there.

I don't know who is responsible for it, but a new grit bin has appeared quite close to us this past week, which is good news for the elderly and disabled here.

It seems I may have to find out more about Longley4Greens and SOAR for my original question to be answered.

4Greens.

As residents of Longley, we didn't know anything about the proposed lights switch-on.

This is a really nice area to live in, and events like you've planned can only be a good thing, to bring the community together, if more residents are made aware.

Edited by paulhodgkins

I apologise completely if you feel I was not completely accurate Green man but I did state that we receive no subsidy from the Council which is the truth. As I am relatively new to the organisation I can only speak about the present.

Yes we have received money from the Council this year but it has been via funding applications.These applications have funded activities.

I also helped a local resident complete an Application for the Halloween party which she organised with our support in aid of the National Autism Society. (attended by approximately 350 people).

They have no direct benefit to the organisation. Other Applications are currently awaiting a decision but these are also to fund activities for the Community, not us.

We have also, this week received a grit bin and agree that we needed it earlier.

As for being part of the SOAR empire I think this is an argument thats run and run on previous occasions. I have taken on board all comments regarding publicity and advertising and will attempt to address this in the New Year.

In the meantime all our activities will be on Sheffield Forum, Event Sheffield and our Facebook page.

As previously stated I am here Monday to Friday and operate an open door policy and would welcome any one who would like to call in and find out more about us. It might be more productive than trying to respond to all via this thread.

Hope you all have a wonderful Xmas.

4 Greens - a couple of things from your reply.....

The Grit Bin - is it actually yours (4 Greens) I understood it to be for the local residents but located near to the 4 Greens?

and

Isn't Ian Drayton - who runs SOAR a special advisor to Longley 4G? Also isn't the management board of Longley 4G full of SOAR directors? And isn't Longley 4G simply a renamed LOCAL, an organisation Ian set up originally?

I accept you are new to the place so perhaps you should look into the organisation before announcing comments such as this....

'As for being part of the SOAR empire I think this is an argument thats run and run on previous occasions.'

The fact is it is still part of the SOAR empire whether you like to think of it or not

I was not implying for one moment that the Grit Bin belongs to us. I was simply trying to make everyone aware that there is a grit bin positioned outside the door of the Community Centre which is clearly intended for use by the residents of the estate.

we have 8 directors, two of these are directors of SOAR. 5 of these are local residents. The other is a business man who became involved a couple of years ago.Yes Ian Drayton is a Board advisor.

I make no attempt to hide anything at all. re; SOAR empire argument. Chose not to revive and rehash arguments that have been previously done to death.

It is clear to any one reading these threads who I am and as someone who works in and for the local community I would gain nothing by being anything other than straight. to be honest, Green Man, if you are going to persist in implying that I am lying re Council funding I would prefer it if you came in and discussed this in person. we can then place the outcome of our discussion on Sheffield Forum if you wish.

Once again, have a nice xmas.