3/12/2010 - Christmas light switch on Longley 4G

Longley4G

Longley 4G Community Centre invites you to our FIRST EVER Christmas lights switch on by our Lord Mayor Alan Law

*Santas Grotto*

*Carol Singers*

*Brass Band*

Stalls selling everything from Christmas items to make-up, books plus much much more!

Our Community Cafe will be open selling hot and cold drinks, mince pies and all things Christmassy!

FRIDAY 3rd DECEMBER 4.00 - 7.00PM

FREE ENTRY

Stalls available - contact Longley 4G for further info

41 Southey Avenue

S5 7NN

0114 2332984

Edited by Longley4G

• 2 weeks later...

I am a local resident, and speaking today to other locals the over riding question they all asked when I told them about the lights been put up was 'where do they get the money from?' and where did they get the money from for the 4 greens signs that are on the lamposts.

All the people I have spoken to, which I admit is probably only 6 or 7, none of them know what Longley4Greens is, besides being our local shops. (Which are quickly diminishing)

None of them know why an organisation occupies all the shops on a quarter of the Greens plus had that new building that now houses the cafe. They all knew of the youth club but as I said know one seems to know who you are, what you do and where the funding comes from.

Longley 4G is a Voluntary Community organisation.

We own the Lease for the Four Greens land, the Community Centre and three of the buildings on Southey Avenue. All three of these buildings were empty and derelict prior to us buying them 10 years ago. 41 Southey Avenue is currently empty but is usually rented out as Office space, 43 Southey Avenue is part Office space but we also have a room which we use for sessional activities such as Adult Learning, Meetings etc. No 47 Southey Avenue is a dance studio downstairs and the upstairs has recently been converted to a two bedroom flat which is also rented out.

We also manage the Community Centre. We organise training events,Adult education classes and Community fundays etc. We also rent out space to other organisations who deliver training in the area such as Healthy Cross and SOAR.

We are self funding (our money comes from rental income and funding bids) and we receive no subsidy from the Council. We also submit funding applications to provide activities which have recently included Football Coaching, Streetdance and Art workshops for ages 8-13 year olds.

We run a Lunch club on tuesdays and a Toddler Group on Mondays. We also have Adult Zumba Classes on monday evening and ladies only Boxercise on wednesday evening. We also recruit and train volunteers. The money for the Signs came from a funding application for a Public Art Project via the North Regeneration team.

The lights are being paid for by the North East Community Assembly along with the Xmas tree at Southey Roundabout and the lights on Shirecliffe Road.

If either yourself or any of the people you have spoken to would like to call in and find out more I am normally here between 9-5.30 monday to friday. Our Cafe is open mon-fri for Breakfast and lunch.

We advertise in local shops, via our Facebook page and through newsletters sent out through the schools.

We are holding a Community Xmas party this wednesday 15th December in Southey social club. Tickets are £1.00 per person but children get to see Santa. If you would like to attend please call in and buy a ticket in advance for the main reception.

Thank you for raising these points to us Jane and although we work very hard to publicise ourselves and our activities I can see that some areas are not being reached.

Have a nice Xmas if we dont meet before.