Stovin Road, Attercliffe

Hi just wondering how you knew Madge and Frank Earnshaw. Just saw this post as I was searching info on Stovin road.

See my post above, Madge Earnshaw used to work with my wife at Balfours, I have a picture somewhere with Marie (Wife) Madge & Alice(My Ma in Law) it must have been took on a Friday as they all had curlers and headscarves.

Pinkgirl it was very close to Darnall but I think it was still Attercliffe, if I mailed anything there I remember putting Attercliffe in the address. :)

Sorry lass you're wrong, I lived on Stovin & Greenland Rds and they were Darnall, everything below Broughton Lane Bridge and Coleridge Rd Bridge were Attercliffe.

My mother-in-law & father-in-law were friends of theirs, for years and all were regulars, at The Tabernacle, (Greenland Road WMC)

I keep in touch with their youngest daughter, Wendy, who lives in Canada.:thumbsup:

I have a photo of Madge taken at Balfours around 60-62 with my wife and mother-in-law, I'll try and dig it out if Wendy would like a copy.

Brian.

You are bang on Brian, Broughton Lane bridge was the boundry of Darnall/ Atercliffe. I remember going into the bookies on the bridge with my Nan to put 6d on a horse. We then carried on down to the 'Cliffe' to do the shopping with my sister Jill.

I remember the great Christmases that we always used to have there and my Grandad going for his drink of Brown Milk to the Friendship pub.

We lived there for about a year with Keith in about 1971 when they pulled our house down and I dont think it was long after we left that Keith moved up to Richmond.

I will certainly tell Keith and Ian when I see them next what you have said. Do you remember my cousin Alan? He was only a few months younger than Ian, havent seen him for about 20 years but doesnt time fly by.

Bob

hi dangerus 1 the man that was killed in the 50's was called Jack Holland he was on his way to work at cutty meadows it was outside our house where he was struck down my mother was first on the scene to he was still alive then, he died shortly after. I also don't remember any cousins living on stovin rd.daffodil123

Its true, Stovin Road was officially in Darnall. Been up and down it many a time. Had relatives on there but that's a long time ago. Happy days :bigsmile:

Kevin

Kevin it could have been Darnall, when we sent a Xmas card of birthday card the address was Attercliffe Sheffield 9, honest. :)

Nay problem. I lived in Frederick Street and then Malvern Road in Darnall. I remember Coleridge Road and the waste ground that was used by Fun Fairs in the 60's. I remember Stovin Road and Palmer Road. I remember going with Dad a time or two to visit an old couple at the top of one of them. Darnall, Attercliffe, it doesn't matter in the end.

Thanks for the response

Kevin :clap:

Stovin Road was in Darnall. My familly lived ther from the 1930's until it was pulled down and were called the Reynolds. It was on the Darnall side of Broughton lane bridge and was where Stovin Drive etc is now

I'm not saying Stovin Road wasn't in Darnall, I just sent greeting cards for donkey's years to this address, 49 Stovin Road, Attercliffe, Sheffield 9, it's imprinted on my brain that's all. :hihi:

Sorry wasnt having a go at you .... Honest!!! My family lived at 112 in the yard below the garage. I was talking to my sister and we both remembered the fairs on the backfield and playing in an old air raid shelter on there. All the best Joto

Sorry wasnt having a go at you .... Honest!!! My family lived at 112 in the yard below the garage. I was talking to my sister and we both remembered the fairs on the backfield and playing in an old air raid shelter on there. All the best Joto

My cousins David and John lived on Stovin Rd, they used to climb over the wall in their yard to play soccer in that field. Later on when I visited with my son's when they were small, they lifted them over to kick the ball around too. :)

Remember the glass embedded in the top of those walls? glad it was ground down over the years, or I would have made them walk around the long way. :hihi: