Can anyone advise me about completing a cv?

Hi......

Im (attempting) to put together my first cv.

I haven't worked in a zillion years, due to bringing up my children and, to be honest, Im finding the whole process of remembering dates and months of my past employment a huge headache!

I just simply cannot remember!!! :confused:

The trouble is, a few of the jobs I did were temporary positions and some, I went back to the following year, but for the life of me, I just cant put months to some of them, and I also think I have some of them in the wrong order!!

What happens if, whoever checks these things, finds out that I got some...(MOST!!) of the info wrong?

I have read that in some cases, they need only the past 10 years worth of employment details, but the job Im applying for needs the whole shebang! Right from leaving school!!!:gag: With no gaps!!!:gag::gag:

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

If you cant remember months, just put the year e.g. 2003-2005.

Employers will usually waant to know your general work history and would normally seek a reference only form your last employer but since you havent worked in years, that isnt going to happen here.

But year of work will have to do if you cannot remember them, and it doesn't sound like you have any old P60's/P45's stashed anyway anywhere to refer to? I have got mine and my 2 kids P60's for the last 20 years (theirs for the last 5-6 years) because I find it easy to forget so it's handy to keep them anyway. Just in case.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't got any old p45's Im afraid. All my previous jobs were before I had my family, when I still lived at home with mum and dad. I did used to keep onto stuff like that, but I remember telling my mum she could get rid of all my old personal stuff a few years ago, when she did my old room out.

Damn! I just never thought at the time that Id need them. I used to be so good with my memory, and always had upto date info stored for job applications.

Trouble is, like I said, a few of my old jobs were only temporary, which lasted a few months at a time, so I cant even put the years :(

Cant you remember songs or what was No. 1 at the time? lol That might help!

Aaaarrrggghh!!!! hehehehe Ive tried! Ive been able to come up with dates for 2 positions, having remembered I worked at one place during Euro '96 and another when Princess Diana died. Its all the ones in between that are in a huge jumble!!!!

Will it really matter if they aren't 100% accurate?

Will the prospective employer most definitely check in depth, employment from 15-20 years ago, considering those positions held were of no relevance to the job Im applying for today?

As an employer I would not worry about it. It is your experience that I would be interested in finding out more about.

In your CV, emphasise the sacrifices you made in your work life by putting your children and family first; any good employer will see this as a positive thing showing high levels of personal responsibility.

One of the things to be careful about is, if you have lots of short term jobs, a potential employer might be concerned that you would not stay in the job for very long (however I appreciate if an employer is not paying good wages, then anyone would leave if another job came along that paid more money).

Don't forget to ask your friends to ask their employers about vacancies (they would be, in effect, your references). This is how we found our sales administrator.

The best of luck to you.

Thanks very much for the advice. I appreciate it very much.

It's made me feel loads better about the whole thing.

Also, the positions where I worked only short term, didn't end through choice. They were were just temporary positions, contracted to a few months.

Thanks again!!! :)

I'd also recommend you do a spot of volunteering so that you have something up-to-date and current on your CV. You'd also then be able to get a recent reference too. Get more info and tips at http://sheffieldqualitytime.wordpress.com/this-months-opportunities/may-2010-spend-some-quality-time%e2%80%a6-gaining-new%c2%a0skills/ and then see some places that can help you get started at http://sheffieldqualitytime.wordpress.com/how_sheffielders_are-_spending_their_quality_time/

Good luck!

Sorry if im going to disillusion you but ive applied for 85 vacancies

to no success , Sending my C.V. to every employer I have A Class 2

driving licence and also been in shop management. One vacancy i

Applied for just labouring work the employer stated that he 950 replies

but keep on trying some thing will pop up out of the blue hopingly for you.

best of luck hope you get there in the end.

Edited by takum

go to your local jobcentre on careers advice centre,, thay'll do it for you,, or at least arrange help for you...

A request for a “back to school history” usually means a job in security or working with vulnerable people so I would expect the check to be thorough.

Don't know if this will help but it's the format I tell kids at school to use and it has always worked for me (try to keep it to no more than 2 sides of A4, 3 at a push)

Your Name (Big abd Bold)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A stand out statement about you

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Details

Address:

E-Mail:

Telephone:

Date of Birth:

Nationality:

Place of Birth:

Education And Qualifications