Wartime Frecheville

riddo7up

I remember Frecheville very well,we lived there from 1939 until 1948. Despite the war we kids had a great time we roamed all over the area across the road from Birley Moor rd which in those days was linghtly wooded area further along opposite the shops was an open area which later was dug out red ash which was used as base material for airfield runways. My dad was the local bobby and all the special constables would arrive each evening to collect their steel helmets etc. We lived next door to the Henry Boots yard and during air raids the yard manager and his family would come round to our air raid shelter which Dad had dug out in the back garden, we always knew when a raid was imminent as Dad had to sound the siren which was at the community centre. We had very active scout group. I attended St Ciprians church which was at that time was prefabricated buiding

Might not be wartime Frechville but I used to go to the scouts at the community centre around 1956 ish the leader was bricklayer who worked at STD and he built with help of the troup a new hut somewhere down Lindsay/Wardlow areà. His name was Louis Mcnamarra----------Is it still standing can't see it on Google earth?