How many hours is too many?

We all know how hard it is to get work when you have been unemployed for a while, l would take the job but keep looking for another at the same time. Don't think the job centre would let you sign back on, just because your wife does not like the hours it entails.

My partner is working a lot of overtime at the moment. He did 62 hours the week before last, and still got asked (3 times) if he would work last Saturday morning.

His workplace pressurises him into working a lot of overtime. They will not take on any more staff. It wasn't always like this, he used to work 8.30 while 5pm, now its more like 5.30am while 6.30pm each day.

Its not always easier to find a job while you already have one. Its sometimes hard to get time off for interviews, and a lot of job agencies want you to come and see them, which is difficult when you work full time.

Don't think the job centre would let you sign back on, just because your wife does not like the hours it entails.

You would be surprised, what if the anti social hours was affecting you / your wives health.

Be prepared not to have I social life, 12 hour shifts means sleep and work and very little else which is not bad if you are working 4 on 4 off but what happens when you start doing 5 and 6 in a row, been there done that.

As for the minimum time directive, quote it to a new employer and don’t be surprise if you don’t get passed the usual trial period that come with most jobs.

My OH is unhappy that he does not get much of a social life. He gets home at about 6.30pm at the earliest and has to go to bed early because he is tired and is getting up early. He does a lot of driving, so has to make sure he gets a good night's sleep.

He has also been working away 2 nights every week for the past 3 weeks.

He told me recently that he fell asleep while driving, woke up when the wheels caught the kerb, which is quite worrying. A colleague of his recently had an accident, he probably fell asleep at the wheel (although he blamed strong winds) and ended up breaking his arm.

My OH is unhappy that he does not get much of a social life. He gets home at about 6.30pm at the earliest and has to go to bed early because he is tired and is getting up early. .

Up at 5 am, 12 hr day, tea, fall a sleep in front of the TV and finally go to bed.

Yep that sounds about right.

Up at 5 am, 12 hr day, tea, fall a sleep in front of the TV and finally go to bed.

Yep that sounds about right.

Yep, and we're still skint!

As others have said, it always seem easier to get a job when you've got a job.

Take it for now, see how it goes but keep looking for other work in the meantime.

My oh used to do it its about right what everyone else has said come home eat go to bed get up go to work.

My oh opted out of working over 48 hrs at one of his jobs and lo and behold found himself suddenly redundant a couple of weeks later even though others had been employed after him, so I would not say it was advisable unfortunately in security you have to expect long rubbish hours.

Having said this though a jobs a job and better than nothing.

Just wanted to know the thoughts of people about this situation I find myself in.

Ok I have been out of work now for about a year and have just been offered a full time job in security working 48 hrs plus per wk,I am keen to get back into work so I have signed off the dole today.

The thing is my partner is non too happy at the thought of me working these hours and she thinks I have rushed in without thinking,she said I might have to work say 5 12 hr shifts which takes me to 60 hrs,she thinks I ought to have asked exactly how many shifts I will be working and I guess she has a point but I had to give the employer a reply within 2 hrs and I guess I did rush in a bit.Now the thing is now Ive signed off the dole IF I turned the job down because its too many hours will I lose my JSA?anyone know?

Good she cares for your welfare but you can't be picky. Priorities wrong. Some credit for taking it would be more appropriate at this point. See how it goes.

thanks for that,I guess I have to make my mind up .

You can't be forced to work more than the WTD says (unless it's a special exception) anyway. So work what hours you're asked to whilst you settle in, then when you're key to the business, just ask to reduce your hours to 48 and not 'more'.

That's all on the assumption that you're paid for the hours you work. If it's 48+ and the + are unpaid, I'd refuse to do them from the start, set expectations where they should be.

You can't be forced to work more than the WTD says (unless it's a special exception) anyway. So work what hours you're asked to whilst you settle in, then when you're key to the business,

How does a security guard become “key to the business”, if you make waves the employer will be straight on the phone to line up a replacement, regulations or no regulations.

Good question, what is the career progression for a security guard.

I suppose you can always take the job and keep looking for something better.

I can't quite see why the company would prefer to employ fewer people for more hours though, it shouldn't alter the cost if everyone worked 4 * 12 hour shifts and they employed an extra person.