Broadband speeds?

Aerobird176

Hi, can anyone answer me this question? i live in sheffield 8 using the woodseats phone exchange for my broadband. if i carry out a speed test at 'speedtest.net' i get a download speed of 2m. my friend who lives 10 doors away gets a speed of 5m plus on the same test. im on pipex who say my line is rated at 1.5m so im getting the best speed possible. my mate is on free talktalk bb. surely we should be getting near the same speeds living so close together? i've had no trouble with pipex just this speed issue so do not want to change providers to find out there is no inprovment. ps i play alot of online ps3 games so would like the fastest speed i can. cheers.

Depends if your mate is on LLU(where the supplier has their own equipment in the cabinet) and you are not if this is the case, then your mate will have a faster speed. Speed is effected by many factors, even though your mate is 5 doors away the distance difference to the exchange could be massive (maybe the phone line takes a big detour before your house adding loads of distance to your line) which could seriousley effect speeds.

just done a search and found the only provider wirh equipment in my exchange is talktalk, and thats the provider my mate uses. so based on this would you suggest a switch to talktalk would be a good move?

If they are the only ones using LLU they would provide a faster speed as they use adsl 2+ which can give speeds upto 24meg (line distance dependant) although talktalk dont have the best reputation.

There are also other factors that can affect this. For example, I'm on an ADSL2 connection connected to Sharrow (but in Woodseats) and initially my connection speed was 5mbps. I then pulled the wired extensions from the master socket and plugged the router into that and I now get between 10 and 11Mbps.

ye i've already been there with the master socket test. i improved my speed by 0.5 mbps by using the master socket 'behind the face plate' This was caused by the wiring to my up stairs socket. i've now got rid of the upstairs wiring and socket and now i get the same speeds using my down stairs extention as i do at the master socket. So i've eliminated my house wiring.