Want to set up a website and need advice

Just a polite reminder guys, the business forum is for giving advice not recommending someone's services.

My apologies if that was directed at me, I was just pointing Coterie out as someone who manages their own site. We don't have any real interest in web design, they are a general client. We certainly couldn't and wouldn't take on a job like this but we've had involvement around the concepts.

No, not you hence why your post hasn't been removed.

Absolutely and we've assisted a few other people to get themselves up and running using Google Sites who are using their own domain, http://www.coteriegallery.co.uk who I believe are also members on SF now. You could ask them what they think as their website is 100% Google sites and they are definitely not web designers but it suited their needs.

I wouldn't dream of taking business from some of the great web designers we have in Sheffield but as I said in the earlier post not everyone wants to can afford a bespoke solution to begin with so it's an option for those people. One of the big problems that most small business has is that they can't afford to pay designers every time they need to change something so they need a CSM system which adds cost and limits flexibility.

Options like Google Sites and Wordpress can produce good results but with all of the template formats I do think that you have to be disciplined with what you want and need to understand the limits of the technology to get the best results.

Could any of the pro's suggest what price point gets an effective simple site? I tend to think that any budget less than £500 might as well be done using a template solution. Thoughts?

You can do much better than a free template for less than £500, you could have your own online shop for that price. Even the most basic bespoke sites are much better than google sites.

You're better off with Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal on your own domain. Drupal would be my preferred choice, its the most powerful & flexible, but it's harder to set up a basic site using drupal for a beginner.

If you're using your website for a business, you need it to project the best possible image of your business. Is it worth saving £500 to look cheap & unprofessional?

The free template sites are a good option if you have no budget whatsoever for your website, it might be good if you just want to get your feet wet, but it's advertising to the world that you've got no budget. You wouldnt use a free sign for your shop, you wouldnt use free furniture & shop fittings, so why use a free website, if you're serious about your business?

Edited by anywebsite

For the original poster...

If you've got no budget & want to sell your products online, then sites like ebay are probably the best option. Then there's no need to worry about marketing your site, there's a huge market for your products right there.

Once your ebay shop has become a success, you can think about getting your own website then.

Though you wouldnt get the best shop for under £500. Sure you can get them, but again, there are better solutions that in the long term and for various reasons, are worth investing in. However, it's down to literally how many pound notes the customer has available to spend that determines what they will choose. We can bang on all day about quality, get what you pay for etc, but I have still seen people want a great webiste for £99 then get into their £20k BMW! It's all about how the customer prioritises their wants and needs and if they are totally committed and serious they still might only have a limited budget due to tight finances, or they might be quite wealthy and tight as anything!

Basically the OP needs to realise the return will equal the effort put in and that includes the extent of the investment into the marketing materials, website included. I would say take your time, shop around and see what you get from the different quotes. Be careful to ensure you compare like for like as you can't compare a hosted solution for £4.99 a month to a bespoke with bells and whistles costing over £499.

Edited by indizine

it does surprise me sometimes looking at the "portfolio" of some of the web designers on here.

Awful websites for a great deal of money

it does surprise me sometimes looking at the "portfolio" of some of the web designers on here.

Awful websites for a great deal of money

Can't agree more, and their portfolios are even worse. The same xhtml template with a few default buttons from Photoshop. But hey, suppose you get what you pay for, can't expect an individual design for the money, very rarely get any actual designers anymore, most of these design companies wouldn't know what design is if it hit them.

There are good & bad companies in any business, it pays to shop around.

The free template sites are a good option if you have no budget whatsoever for your website, it might be good if you just want to get your feet wet, but it's advertising to the world that you've got no budget. You wouldnt use a free sign for your shop, you wouldnt use free furniture & shop fittings, so why use a free website, if you're serious about your business?

no offence, but does the average person know how to identify a free site?

unless it specifically says, i wouldnt...and to honest, i dont mind. im more interested in the product and the security of the sale.

as for the free shop fittings/furniture for a shop, hell yes i would! we all have budgets and if they look good....who would know they were free unless you told people? :suspect:

x

as for the free shop fittings/furniture for a shop, hell yes i would! we all have budgets and if they look good....who would know they were free unless you told people? :suspect:

x

I don't think the free shop fittings/furniture analogy is a good example.