One for Christmas.

coyleys

I hope everyone has had a good Christmas and new year. I have not really had time to write anything for Christmas, but I did promise, so I have had a rummage in the Coyley archives and put together a few paragraphs. Something with a Christmas feel.

Enjoy.

http://sheffieldwriters.ath.cx/SFStoryArchive/1264023568.docx

For those with an older version of MS Word...

http://sheffieldwriters.ath.cx/SFStoryArchive/1264023733.doc

• 2 months later...

Have elements of this story been taken from a novel of yours? I love the fantasy element and the atmosphere it evokes. I liked how you used the journey of the wind to describe the Manor; very professional! It really does leave you with a lovely Christmassy feel... too bad I've read it during spring :sad:.

It's a great piece which I could easily imagine being featured in a newspaper at Christmas time. It makes me want to be a child again because Christmas really does feel magical like that when you're young. We seem to lose that feeling as an adult and have to lose ourself in writing/ reading to get it back temporarily...

Hello Coyleys,

I would concur with everything Shaz has said. Very professional, very evocative of Christmas.

I think the characters came through strongly too. I could picture the interchange between Joe and his missus very well, and I felt for him when she decided that attending to the preparations was more important than attending to his needs. A little cuddle wouldn't have hurt after all ;)

I also know that you do not choose a name without good reason, but due to my ignorance some of those references have probably gone over my head ( though I think i'm ok with Foxy, and prepared to hazard a guess at Antawny). It's reassuring to know that there is still more depth to explore in your story when I come back to it again.

Great Stuff Mr C. One of my favourites.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

It’s bank holiday Monday, and Coyleys managed to get the day off, and better still he has the house to himself.

Well, it’s my day off, so I think I’ll catch-up with reading some of the contributions on the SFWG and maybe let my mind run amok and do a bit of writing.

Yes, but What Coyley doesn’t know is; lurking in the kitchen by some dirty dishes is a note from his darling wife, attached to a long list of jobs to do.

But will Coyley venture to this part of the house that is so alien to him?

-----------------------------

Shaz and Ron, thanks to the both of you for your words of encouragement.

Shaz, yes, the story was taken from a larger piece, well! It started life as a short story for my goddaughter, but has slowly grown into a bit of a trilogy (Strange Happenings at Wynn Manor) and expanding.

Ron, yes, you are right when you say (I also know that you do not choose a name without good reason) in this case you will have to brush up on your Gaelic.

And again thanks to the both of you for the words (very professional). I hope you realise I will now have to pop down to Oxfam, to buy a bigger hat.

----------------

Coyley is not really a big head, although he may be prone to the occasional delusions of grandeur…

http://sheffieldwriters.ath.cx/SFStoryArchive/1272889671.doc

"Hilarious!"

"I split my sides laughing"

"Sheer genius - my only criticism is the odd gaelic reference"

"Too good for Radio 4"

"Oops, I've wet myself"

These are just some of the responses to coyleys latest offering "Delusions of Grandeur 7456". Here we see coyleys concentrating his gift for expressing the humour of everyday life in the North and juxtaposing (juxt'posing) it with a scenario that accentuates, in comical fashion, the north-south divide. A pork dripping, bloomer dropping, stainless steel contender for this year's SFWG Top Ten.

Edited by Ron Blanco

• 2 months later...

Hi Coyleys...I've just had a look at your story, which as the other posters said, was definitley christmassy.

But I had to laugh at myself, because on first reading I thought that Foxy was going to Co op...haha. I read Co op instead of coop! And the other word, 'tranklements'...what a fabulous word. I looked it up and can't find it, so either it's a word you have invented or it's a yorkshire word I haven't come across before...either way, it's a brill word and I want to steal it :)

Thanks Repunzel, glad you liked it.

The word ‘tranklements’ is an old Yorkshire saying – although probably not exclusive to Yorkshire – and can be found on most search engines, it means: Bits and bats, accessories’, paraphernalia, that type of thing.

While you were on did you read Delusions of Grandeur, number 7456?

Hi Coyleys,

Yeh, the word kind of speaks for itself, doesn't it? Like, 'trinkets' only I imagine trinkets to be useless little bits and bobs. Tranklements seems to mean bigger bits and bobs...possibly junk.

I've just looked at your Delusions of Grandeur. Very funny. I must admit, I didn't quite understand that last bit about the helicopter. So I thought, 'I'll just go down and look at the meat, then come back up and have another read.'

I don't normally cook a joint on a Sunday, cos there's only me. But this was on offer at Netto's...£3.49. Well, it's bargain isn't it, so I got it.

I was just leaning into the oven basting said meat, when I stopped and smiled as I suddenly realised.

'Oh...it's the queen and Prince Charles!'

Nice one.

• 2 months later...

While looking for something else, as usual, I became distracted by the response to the

Coyleys, regarding a Christmas theme. I've not found it yet but look forward to reading it.

Meanwhile here's a little piece about Christmas, that I wrote about seven or eight years ago. Don't let it get you down - it's only the ramblings of a grumpy old git!

When I was a child

When I was a child and Christmas was here,

It gave me a feeling of hope and good cheer.

Now I am older, the feeling is fear.

How many jobs will be going next Year?

How many folk will be victims of crime?

Why are we in such a dangerous time?

Have we become such a Godless society?

Should we return to a life of sobriety?

Old-fashioned morals and mutual respect.

Replaced by things cool and politically correct.

We've took a wrong turning, perhaps quite a few,

By debunking history, for everything new.

Is God showing us, what it's like being neglected?

If He is, it's no more than we should have expected.

We've let evil in and now it's all round.

It's likely to drive us all into the ground.

The world is much colder, uncertain and wild.

Why can't it be like when I was a child?

----------