Female perfumes-what is the difference?

My bold

Ain't that the truth! I've nearly been knocked out by the strength of it when a friend's put some on. I'd swear I could smell it when I went through the kitchen door and she was in the front room. And it's one of those "heavy" scents that gives me an instant headache.

And that's my point exactly about being a sensitive scent wearer- just because you like your scent, it doesn't mean that everyone else does!

Many of the scents originally brought to the market in the 80s (like Poison) are very high on sillage and could be used as olfactory weapons in the hands of someone whose finger slips on the spray top.

Oooh- another one which has enormous sillage but I really like- Lolita Lempicka (original- yellow box). Quite closely related to Angel but you don't smell yourself coming down the street.

I no longer wear my favourite perfume (Angel) very often because I wore it exclusively for so long that I can no longer smell it. That's anosmia for you. I'm hoping that after a few years of other fragrances I'll be able to wear Angel in rotation with some of the others.

Sillage (pronounced 'seearge'- it's French) is the way that the fragrance projects out to others.

Thanks for that Medusa ... I'm relieved to read it's got nothing to do with 'Silage'.;)

Jpg, joop or ultraviolet mmmm I'm not fussy

Thanks leahiz, it's appreciated.:) I've come across the first two, but not ultraviolet.

Anybody remember Jazz?

That stuff used to stink whole buildings out and wouldn't go away.

I was at a dance some years ago. Just as the music stopped (perfect timing ;) ) a girl dancing with her boyfriend about 6ft away yelled to him: "CAN YOU SMELL MY CHARLIE?"

There was a deathly hush. I felt sorry for her.