Teaching - The Only Profession To Be Sure Of A Day Off When It Snows

Hi all

Fully expecting an onslaught of teachers replying having a go at me.......

Am I the only person just about getting fed up with teachers "not making it in" when it snows and thus the school has to close? Over this week, not a single person in my office has not managed to get to work and everyone arrives by car. My wife commutes every day to Hull from Sheffield - she like everyone else she works with has managed to make it into work every day this week too.

Why therefore cant teachers?

A friend of mine works at a school, but is not a teacher. They told me that on Tuesday they made it in, as did the head, as did the cleaners, janitors, cooks and even the lolly-pop-lady but......... surprise suprise every single teacher phoned in saying they couldnt get in due to the weather!

Dont get me wrong, I am not labelling every teacher in this bracket, and infact I have a few friends who are teachers and they all went to work (only to be told to go home as the rest of their collegues hadnt managed to scrape some snow off their windscreen), but it does appear that given a dusting of snow and they know they can get away with not turning up as the school will say its unsafe for the kids.

Can anyone remember their school closing for snow when we were younger? I dont. I remember building snowmen in the playground! We have turned into a namby pamby state of people too terrified that someone is going to sue over their child falling over in the snow, plus people knowing full well that their Union is strong enough to always win a tribunal.

Enough! Stop sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle and get your very well paid backside off to work. Its not like you dont get enough days off a year as it is!

Cheers

Hi all

Am I the only person just about getting fed up with teachers "not making it in" when it snows and thus the school has to close? Over this week, not a single person in my office has not managed to get to work and everyone arrives by car. My wife commutes every day to Hull from Sheffield - she like everyone else she works with has managed to make it into work every day this week too.

A friend of mine works at a school, but is not a teacher. They told me that on Tuesday they made it in, as did the head, as did the cleaners, janitors, cooks and even the lolly-pop-lady but......... surprise suprise every single teacher phoned in saying they couldnt get in due to the weather!

Dont get me wrong, I am not labelling every teacher in this bracket, and infact I have a few friends who are teachers and they all went to work (only to be told to go home as the rest of their collegues hadnt managed to scrape some snow off their windscreen), but it does appear that given a dusting of snow and they know they can get away with not turning up as the school will say its unsafe for the kids.

Can anyone remember their school closing for snow when we were younger? I dont. I remember building snowmen in the playground! We have turned into a namby pamby state of people too terrified that someone is going to sue over their child falling over in the snow, plus people knowing full well that their Union is strong enough to always win a tribunal.

Enough! Stop sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle and get your very well paid backside off to work. Its not like you dont get enough days off a year as it is!

Cheers

well said,and its mamby pamby, did you go to school or was it snowing :hihi:

Hi all

Cheers

Have you got proof that every single teacher phoned in from your friend or is this just hearsay? Or is it just another teacher bashing thread because some people, shock horror have had to look after their own children.

Oh, and I'm not a teacher.

When I taught the school shut once, because the buses couldn't get to the school, and because the school site -which was hilly - was deemed unsafe for the pupils.

Ha ha - slip of the finger (more used to a BBC computer when I was at school). :hihi:

Have you got proof that every single teacher phoned in from your friend or is this just hearsay? Or is it just another teacher bashing thread because some people, shock horror have had to look after their own children.

Oh, and I'm not a teacher.

Yes I have the recorded messages from the tapped phone in the office. No of course i dont have proof, its what my friend told me.

The fact that teachers clearing "wagging it" just like their students is now being discussed on the national news, they are not really doing much to improve their popularity. On a plus side for them, its probably only a couple of weeks until they get another week off at half term :loopy:

My school shut for snow when I was a kid.

As a teacher, my school in Bassetlaw has been closed all week. The £25m site is unsafe! They've been waiting on a jcb from Rotherham to clear the road, car park and footpaths.

Many children can't get in as they live in rural areas where roads have not been gritted so buses and cars can't get out. Same for some staff

But please lay off having a go at teaching staff. I made it in after a hairy journey only to be told school was closed. It's head and LA whomake the decision based on health and safety of the 1000 kids per school, not teachers.

Ha ha - slip of the finger (more used to a BBC computer when I was at school). :hihi:

i will let you off, i was going to give you detention but its snowed and i cant get in :D

I managed to get in on Monday,no probs. I then drove 25 miles the next day and had to return home due to school closure on Health & Safety grounds for pupils.

I couldn,t watch Jeremy Kyle (whoever he is) you seem to know. I have done 8 hours each day marking and setting lessons for when I do get back.

As a teacher, my school in Bassetlaw has been closed all week. The £25m site is unsafe! They've been waiting on a jcb from Rotherham to clear the road, car park and footpaths.

Many children can't get in as they live in rural areas where roads have not been gritted so buses and cars can't get out. Same for some staff

But please lay off having a go at teaching staff. I made it in after a hairy journey only to be told school was closed. It's head and LA whomake the decision based on health and safety of the 1000 kids per school, not teachers.

And I agree with you that areas of schools can be unsafe in this weather, particulalry for large secondary schools. It doesnt explain why a primary school where children dont have to leave the building once they are in it cant grit from the gate to the front door (hence safe) and then tell the kids that they cant go out at lunchtime as its unsafe.

I would be interested to see a statistic of the number of school closures due to poor weather now compared to 20 years ago...........

I managed to get in on Monday,no probs. I then drove 25 miles the next day and had to return home due to school closure on Health & Safety grounds for pupils.

I couldn,t watch Jeremy Kyle (whoever he is) you seem to know. I have done 8 hours each day marking and setting lessons for when I do get back.

get yourself a gold star,and go to the top of the class :heyhey:

Ps OP. How many staff work at your office? We have c. 100 staff and 1000 students