Border Terrier or Cocker Spaniel Wanted

There is a little black cocker that goes in the park where I walk my lot and it makes me laugh so much.... it is the most amazingly funny little canine whirlwind that I ever saw, all you see is this mass of fur and flying floppy ears, don't think I ever saw its face properly :hihi:

Do you walk on the bole hill by any chance? Sounds like my little one. Mine you they're all pretty much like that. Especially the young ones.

Yes this is why I stick to lurchers :hihi: I wouldn't be able to exercise a spaniel enough, I love them but it would not work I am far to unfit and lazy lol.

You are quite right, you really do need to be realistic about what you are taking on and honest with yourself about what you have to offer an animal, no use picking a dog on looks alone.

There is a little black cocker that goes in the park where I walk my lot and it makes me laugh so much.... it is the most amazingly funny little canine whirlwind that I ever saw, all you see is this mass of fur and flying floppy ears, don't think I ever saw its face properly :hihi:

My cavie is so lazy, so if you want a spaniel go for them. And she is so NOT loyal. Last time haddockman came to my house she cried and whined for about an hour as she didn't get to go with him :roll:

Do you walk on the bole hill by any chance? Sounds like my little one. Mine you they're all pretty much like that. Especially the young ones.

No this one is at Concord park, I think it is young you can tell, its so funny and cute (I have to say it cause no way to know if its m/f its a blur :hihi: ).

Cuddlycats I really like Cavies but would be afraid of the health concerns, its a shame they are lovely little dogs, and far more a match for my energy levels :hihi:

Do not be fooled by cavies. I have 4 and 2 of them need masses of exercise. One runs like the wind for as long as he can and enjoys his agility very much.He drives me crazy if he does not get his full quota of at least 1hr off lead exercise.

Edited by cavi lover
spelling

My mum has a springer and 2 springer crosses, two are the most unloyal dogs you will have ever met, loyalties lie with whoever feeds, walks or plays with them. But seriously they are the most amazing dogs and as has already been said they can easily be tried out and stimulated in ways other than a five hour walk. They are incredibly rewarding! Good luck in your search but I dont think you will go far wrong with one of those beauties!

Hi Sarah

My bold - working cockers which we both have and show cockers are totally different shapes and sizes. Working cockers are slightly smaller and have less of a domed shaped head. Show cockers have larger eyes, longer ears, more dome shape on their head, stand taller and operate completely differently.

Sorry twibstix only just saw your message. I think im going blind. :hihi:

Ive seens some pretty wide variations on working cockers. Some lines can be large and look quite a lot like springer, while theres a cocker at obedience class is supposedly working stock but looks more show strain and is the complete opposite to Dexter. And then theres those dogs where the lines have been purposely mixed for health reasons.

My dogs been mistaken for a springer and a field spaniel. But im not sure if thats a result of people not knowing there are 2 strains of cocker out there.

Your prob more clued up on the spaniel world than me. What do you think it is from the picture on the rain rescue link?

All, whats your views on border terriers, I have the chance of taking on a young pup ?

Thats the key character differences between boys & bitches ??

Regards

Marvin

All, whats your views on border terriers, I have the chance of taking on a young pup ?

Thats the key character differences between boys & bitches ??

Regards

Marvin

I think border terriers need around 2 hours exercise a day. That was one of the reasons i ruled out border terriers when i was researching dog breeds. I ended up getting a cavalier king charles spaniel, and she is perfect for my young family.

Edited by cuddlycats

I always think borders are quite feisty and strong minded little dogs. Ive known borders take off after a scent of foxes or badgers so make sure you train a good recall early on. This shouldnt be a problem as they respond well to training.

Very good round children. Very loving little dogs at home but independant when outdoors.

Like cuddley cats says they also need a fair amount of walking. We go walking with someone who has a border and her dog can easierly keep up with my cocker in terms of energy.

i would take spaniels over borders anyday as family dogs..

you will all be pleased to know the two cockers have been rehomed together and have now gone to live in the countryside!!!

i would take spaniels over borders anyday as family dogs..

you will all be pleased to know the two cockers have been rehomed together and have now gone to live in the countryside!!!

Thats great news. I hope they have a long happy life now :love: