Should organised religion be banned?

My bold

And separation of church and education - especially when the school is receiving government funding.

Banning religion would be totally pointless - it would still exist, it would just be driven underground.

How about stopping religious tax concessions, including VAT relief.

This might bring them down a peg or two.

Banning religion simply doesn't work.

The English attempted to wipe out Catholicism in Ireland from the late 16th century and only succeeded in making the Catholic church so strong that it virtually ruled the roost here until very recently.

You mean Cromwell's crude and vicious attempt.

Yes, he failed in Ireland, and after his death the monarchy was restored.

Much ado about nothing.

My bold

And separation of church and education - especially when the school is receiving government funding.

I agree, why should my hard earned taxes (@40%) be used to fund schools where some of the parents have no interest in the education of their children.

Let the Church have it's own schools, remove them from interference by the LEA's and local and central government. I'll expect a reduction in my taxation, which I, along with other concerned parents, will give to the Church Schools.

Whilst we're at it, we'll make Church attendance compulsory for parents; for the duration of their child's education.

That way we won't have people 'pretending' to be religious, just to get their children into a good school.

You mean Cromwell's crude and vicious attempt.

Yes, he failed in Ireland, and after his death the monarchy was restored.

Much ado about nothing.

The suppression of Catholicism in Ireland continued long after the death of Cromwell; in fact it continued for hundreds of years. The resultant strength of the church in Ireland has had its own dreadful legacy.

The suppression of Catholicism in Ireland continued long after the death of Cromwell; in fact it continued for hundreds of years. The resultant strength of the church in Ireland has had its own dreadful legacy.

How about this idea?

Religion should never be 'taught' by proponents of the same religion as this is simply indoctrination by the back door. General courses in comparative religion should be taught only by specially trained atheists with no doctrinal ax to grind.

No.

Just keep it out of politics please.

How about this idea.

Religion should never be 'taught' by proponents of the same religion as this is simply indoctrination by the back door. General courses in comparative religion should be taught only by specially trained atheists with no doctrinal ax to grind.

How about this idea?

How about this?

Religion should be personal only.

Let's not study it, or teach it, in our schools.

Unless we also plan on awarding degrees in Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, which have a similar basis in fact.

Were the English suppressing it, I haven't been into that.

What methods were being used?

Edited by Hecate
fixed quote tags.