Want to be a social worker-need advice

hiya

i really want to get into being a trained social worker. I already have a degree but this is in media and communications (i graduated 7 years ago so had a few career changes since then) so not really relevant. i also have 5 a levels and gcse quals too.

i just want some advice from ppl who are already social workers or ppl training to be one as to what routes i could take? im currently working in admin in social services, supporting social workers so althought it isnt direct experience with clients, i do have a good idea of the work involved etc. would this be enough experience for when i apply to do a degree or do i need more direct experience?

will i have to do another undergrad degree or will i be able to get on any postgrad courses?

thanks

Hello well I am a Qualified social worker, the only bit of advise I would give you is that its a hard thankless job and you need to think hard about whether you really want to be a social worker. From my experience its all about working long hours, no staff, lots of people off work with stress and having to justify every little thing you do. Be careful, dont do what I did and wear the rose tinted glasses and think you can help everyone. Its resource led not needs led.

If you really want to get in to it though I started off doing a range of voluntary work, did the advanced health and social care course and then went on to do the degree at Sheffield Hallam, now am a social worker working with people with mental health issues over 18. On the interview for the course they look at your work experience and your values and beliefs and look at whether you are suitable for the job.

But honestly if you want to go it, go for it but think carefully about it first. Good luck with it!! :D

I would suggest asking the social workers you work in the admin office for, they would be the best people to talk to. Also look at their job vacancy booklet that they hand round internally. You will find something in there maybe and they would prefer to take on someone who is already internal than external. Someone I knew used to do contact supervision and is now doing social work as a job.

Just a suggestion.

hi,

The post graduate two year course at Sheffield Uni is a good option.

The other option is to keep your eye out for Social Work trainee positions which put you through your qualification but at the same time you are working and earning a wage.

Try to get a balanced view of the job....some will say its the worst thing ever and others will advocate that it is a good profession. Of course once you have your qualification it will open other doors not just Social Work one's.

Good luck

• 2 years later...
can i become a social worker without going to uni if i have an NVQ 3 in health and social care and just do add ons or do i still actually need uni?

You need to either go to Uni for 3 years to get social work degree, or, if you already hold a degree in certain subjects, you can do step up to social work, which takes a year. As far as I'm aware, you cannot be a social worker unless you have degree xxxxx