Hey, I'm looking for job hunting tips

If you just drop one off in shop odds are it will not get to the manager.

What do they teach in school these days :huh:

I always addressed them to the manager and hoped they did haha.

See, I could rant about the school thing, but I wont. Not once in school are you told how to do a CV or to look for a job or anything... School is useless in my opinion, they do not prepare you for the 'real' world.

Edited by Nataliie

Hi Leon, I'd definitely recommend looking at websites such as Monster, Workthing, Prospects etc to get advice on CVs as just using Microsoft Office is not likely to get a great result - also try going on yell.com and bringing up all employment agencies in Sheffield, the ones that have websites also have very useful tips on CVs.

Finally, when you have produced a CV, I suggest you run it past someone who will be able to comment and offer constructive criticism, and has seen lots of CVs, maybe a teacher/lecturer, or family friend? there are also people on here I am sure, who would be happy to have a look at it and give you some feedback.

Especially in these tough times, a good CV that stands out can make it or break if for you as a jobseeker:)

I always addressed them to the manager and hoped they did haha.

See, I could rant about the school thing, but I wont. Not once in school are you told how to do a CV or to look for a job or anything... School is useless in my opinion, they do not prepare you for the 'real' world.

In my day they had a careers officer and every child had an interview with them in their final year, am I showing my age or what.

In my day they had a careers officer and every child had an interview with them in their final year, am I showing my age or what.

We had a careers officer, but you only got to see him if you were going to college, and he would only help fill out your application form for college. We never got any advice on the best way to apply for jobs, or make CV's or anything, it was honestly a big shock when I left school.

Hi Leon, I'd definitely recommend looking at websites such as Monster, Workthing, Prospects etc to get advice on CVs as just using Microsoft Office is not likely to get a great result - also try going on yell.com and bringing up all employment agencies in Sheffield, the ones that have websites also have very useful tips on CVs.

Finally, when you have produced a CV, I suggest you run it past someone who will be able to comment and offer constructive criticism, and has seen lots of CVs, maybe a teacher/lecturer, or family friend? there are also people on here I am sure, who would be happy to have a look at it and give you some feedback.

Especially in these tough times, a good CV that stands out can make it or break if for you as a jobseeker:)

Thanks, unfortunately i doubt my CV would stand out, my grades are VERY average lol.

We had a careers officer, but you only got to see him if you were going to college, and he would only help fill out your application form for college. We never got any advice on the best way to apply for jobs, or make CV's or anything, it was honestly a big shock when I left school.

Yeah i just got a guy who got me into college loll

Thanks, unfortunately i doubt my CV would stand out, my grades are VERY average lol.

If you are applying for a Saturday job in a shop I don’t think qualifications will come in to it that much, extracurricular activities a nice cover letter and personal appearance would rate higher in my books.

If you are applying for a Saturday job in a shop I don’t think qualifications will come in to it that much, extracurricular activities a nice cover letter and personal appearance would rate higher in my books.

O yeah!!! i keep forgettin i dont need qualifications for some things lol, ive sent some emails to do leaflet and catalogue deliverys and stuff.

if i was a book id be your favourite book i work out and im good lookin.

Hi 5

Shall i put that in my CV or is that just gonna make me look like a stuck up ass lol.

P.S im not stuck up

Anywayz thanks =]] next time im in town ill have to visit some shops, it would make a better impression.

Malky, I was never taught how to write up a CV either. I only know what one should 'look like' because we did it in French NVQ! It was part of the NVQ to write up our 'pretend' CVs in french :hihi:

The careers guy only tells you whats on offer at college/6th form, nothing else. They help you apply for college but jobs? Nooo!

Im currently job searching - anything for extra income and so far have found nothing that suits me, no qualifications or anything, just GCSEs.

If you find something Leon, let us all know. I just need hope that there are jobs out there afterall. Have you tried supermarkets? I have just finished an unsuccessful 12 week trial at one, but there were some positions offering evening/weekend jobs.

Good luck in your search and when im searching if anything pops up that suits your times ill let you know!

Malky, I was never taught how to write up a CV either. I only know what one should 'look like' because we did it in French NVQ! It was part of the NVQ to write up our 'pretend' CVs in french :hihi:

I don’t think CV`s were used when I was at school but I seem to remember being shown how to lay out a letter and how to address an envelope properly and I certainly remember being interviewed in school about career opportunities……times change I suppose:roll:

The careers guy only tells you whats on offer at college/6th form, nothing else. They help you apply for college but jobs? Nooo!

Im currently job searching - anything for extra income and so far have found nothing that suits me, no qualifications or anything, just GCSEs.

If you find something Leon, let us all know. I just need hope that there are jobs out there afterall. Have you tried supermarkets? I have just finished an unsuccessful 12 week trial at one, but there were some positions offering evening/weekend jobs.

Good luck in your search and when im searching if anything pops up that suits your times ill let you know!

Thanks!! ill let you know too, and nope i havent tryed any supermarkets yet, but i will be whenever a bump into one.

At moment me thinks ill try topman or river island cause they seem like a nice place to work.

I dont mind if im not earning much, i just enjoy meeting people and getting paid to meet people sounds coolerest

But i need a bit of money for some clothes and overpriced thorntons chocolates at the end of the week of course =p

But yeah id be very greatful if youd let me know on any jobs

that come up and i will do same for you if i find any.

Thanks you!!

Hi,

Get in touch with The Impact CV! New business started up in Sheffield, S8.

Really friendly, professional service.

They'll put you a CV together - really reasonable rates - they start at £25

OR if you've already started - email your CV to the email address below

[email protected]

They also have a website if you want to check them out first.

GOOGLE - the impact CV Sheffield

Good luck!

£25 for a cv careerfinder? Haha.. No way!

If anyone wants a CV. Google CV WRITER, and ones called ecw-cv or something, fill out what it asks you too, then it shows the CV theyve written for you with sample written across it (Because they want £8 ), just open up word (Or microsoft works if you have it - then word) and do it yourself. You only need to know how to centre text, change the font, and make it bold etc! A CV is possibly the most easiest thing to do I think. Afterall, you know the career youve had and the best things in those jobs. Should anyone want to look at my homemade CV, drop me a PM and ill email it you - minus my address and phone number :D