Board Games (Modern and Vintage)

The Old Queen's Head is a Thwaites pub. It's ok but there's plenty better. I wonder if the Fat Cat has a room available. Cheap grub and fantastic beer. Or the Red Deer is used to hosting groups in their function room.

I finally made it to Patriot Games and bought "Secret Tijuana Deathmatch" by CheapAss Games. Thanks so much for the tip Jive Knight.

Happy to help. Hope you enjoy the game.

My favorite pubs are:

Sheaf View - Heeley

Fat Cat (but it's a hassle to get to if having a drink)

The White Lion (not for the beer but because it would be ideal for this kind of thing with all those little rooms)

The Red Deer also sounds good.

Never been to the Queen's Head so I can't speak for that one.

My votes in order of preference would be

Sheaf View

Fat Cat

Red Deer

But what the hell, we'll be playing a game so anywhere's good for a starter, we can always find another place if we don't like the one we pick.

Red Deer might be a good one as it's central, if they've made it a bit warmer in the upstairs room!

Red Deer might be a good one as it's central, if they've made it a bit warmer in the upstairs room!

I'm going to try for this Monday so if anyone's interested please come along bur message me first. If I get 3 replies then we've got enough for a start.

I would be up for it.

what time do you want to meet (if we get four people)? How about 7.30pm?

jenniker

I'm so pleased that I've seen this thread. I've been wanting to buy the expansions for the Talisman board game but I'd rather be able to buy them from a shop rather than ordering over the internet. Nothing against the internet, it's just sometimes when I'm in the mood for something I want it straight away! I'm also unlikely to be at home when an internet order is delivered.

I never knew about this shop, Patriot Games. Thanks for the info. I will be paying them a visit!

I'm a little confused why these types of fantasy/sci-fi board games aren't available from other high street shops that sell board games? I know that board games have got their work cut out to compete with console/computer games but are the likes of Talisman and Settlers of Catan just not mainstream enough to be sold in high street shops?

Hi Lou

Since you have posted to an old thread just wanted to confirm that Patriot Games is still around and has an extremely good range of boardgames and cardgames. They certainly help me part with my cash! Check their website out at http://www.patriotgames.ltd.uk/store/ to find stock availability before visiting. The staff are generally very helpful. I checked and they have the Talisman expansions.

Best online resource for games is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ and this page lists physical shops, Internet stores and games clubs in the UK http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/UK_FAQ#.

So, whilst not mainstream, you can see that there is a thriving community playing these games.

I will also recommend the Sheffield Board Games Club http://sheffieldboardgamers.forumotion.co.uk/ (ignore the annoying pop-up ads on the site). We currently meet every Tuesday at the Red House on Solly Street from about 7:00 until 11:00 pm.

Maybe see you there one day?

I used to love talisman back in the day, don't own it now, not done for decades

Thanks for the info catanfan. I paid Patriot Games a visit on Monday. The guy who served me was very knowledgable and helpful. I bought Arkham Horror which is FAB!

I'd love some Talisman expansions as well but I think I'll have to wait until next payday. I could spend a small fortune in there!

Oh and I play badminton on Tuesdays, so board games would have to be another night...

Edited by Lou