I want to start an ebay shop, what could I sell? I want to start off small

Good luck with your auction site. I launched the same kind of thing (think it was called Yorkshire Bid) with the same software and after 6 months it cost me so much in Adwords etc it just wasn't worth it.

I genuinely hope you do well, and have better luck/marketing skills than I did!

Thanks, yes i know adwords is the wrong way to go. I specialize in free or low cost advertising so it makes it easier on my pocket.

Looks like we have the same great mind.

first things you need are postage guides for letters and parcels (from post office) postal weighing scales (up to @ 30kg) avail on ebay. then open a normal ebay account and sell a few smaller items you have kicking around the house. this will give you practice in listing items, collecting payments, packing and getting the postage right. this way you are not likely to lose much money if you make a mistake. you can upgrade to a business account (and start paying tax on your sales) when you get going. you also incur extra responsibilities as a trader. decide what you want to sell, find out how much you can get stock for, then look to see how much is being asked for those items on ebay. then do the sums. i seldom look in shops on ebay unless i want something that is new for less than high street price. having an ebay shop incures a monthly fee (used to be £6) no point trading in stuff for a £1 profit, if you sell something for £200 to make a quid profit and the item gets lost or stolen either in transit or on delivery, you have to replace or refund the buyer, great, now you have to succesfully sell 200 more items at £200 each just to recover your losses! ebay and paypal (same owners) are gearing up in favour of accepting the buyers (sometimes fraudsters) argument when things go wrong and are quick to give refunds to buyers without much recourse to the sellers argument. (post office proof of posting is not accepted by ebay as proof of delivery) they want you to use paypal postage (complicated and more expensive). the other main site is called ebid, but it is a long way behind ebay. very few bidders bidding almost nothing for stuff only for the sale not to go through. sellers put stuff on at their required price as happens with most smaller sites, thus no bargains to be had. yorkshire auctions is ok as an idea, but is straight away heading down the same path as ebid only on a much less profitable footing, no point setting up a businees if you are not interested in making money! a better idea would be a sheffield forum auction site to go with the classifieds idea. but this means hiring and paying administrators to answer queries and resolve disputes, just look at the mail this thread has generated! good luck! oh, almost forgot, you need a good digital camera as well!

Edited by muckymurphy
omitted item

not saying yorkshire auction is a bad idea. it's a good idea. just needs huge investment especially in advertising to get well known beyond just the few thousand forum users. how about getting a spot on look north or calendar to talk about the new site? advertise in admag and adtrader? hand out flyers at car boot sales? sponsor signs at roundabouts? just a few ideas. all said, the site is intended for little old yorkshire, thus has limits.

not saying yorkshire auction is a bad idea. it's a good idea. just needs huge investment especially in advertising to get well known beyond just the few thousand forum users. how about getting a spot on look north or calendar to talk about the new site? advertise in admag and adtrader? hand out flyers at car boot sales? sponsor signs at roundabouts? just a few ideas. all said, the site is intended for little old yorkshire, thus has limits.

Thankyou for your input, its much appreciated.

I dont want to go on about my new business as it may be seen as off topic within this thread by admins.

Thankyou anyway, if you wish to talk about it you can pm me.

... "i only plan to make £1 per item profit so as long as the prices are near enough the same as ebay or amazon i wont mind as it will help my site grow".

And this is exactly what is wrong with capitalism. RRP is in place for a reason.

When someone's selling things on Ebay and undercutting everyone else just to pay their phone bill per month, it's a bit rubbish.

/grumbles

Thanks, yes i know adwords is the wrong way to go. I specialize in free or low cost advertising so it makes it easier on my pocket.

Looks like we have the same great mind.

No problem. If you want to add SMS notifications like eBay does then PM me.