Evans Halshaw -Hillsborough

How come the car is not at the dealership.............how can your friend be in the market for a car he has not seen.............come on Evans Halshaw must have a hundred cars on the lot at Hillsborough...and your friend is interested in a car that isnt there!!!!!.

How does he know about a car that is not on physical stock.....

I am trying to help you both here...........you need to help me....

and if the car is on finance and it all goes wrong then you are at liberty to invoke the sale of goods act under the sub heading of guaranteed for fitness and purpose.

Never ever buy an extended guarantee/warranty....if you buy your car on finance then the car is guaranteed for the term of the finance agreement....this applies to all goods by the way not just cars......so be aware of the sale of goods act....you are not being clever, you are just being prudent.

The sales people will not impart this information about the guarantee period.

Any further info dont hestitate to ask.................

So what you are saying then is if you have the finance over 5 years then the car is guaranteed for 5 years? How does that work then if something goes wrong with your car as Evans Halshaw say they only offer 3 months guarantee?

I am quoting you the law under the sale of goods act....yes the car is warranted whilst ever the finance agreement is in force....this does not mean that you can go out and drive the car as though you stole it.

It means that with sensible use and allowing for the provision of fair wear and tear the car has to do the job it was designed to do....

Ask your self this ....how many people buy a car on a five year finance agreement but actually keep it for five years.

The Mercedes body corrosion warranty is in force for 30 years.....yes ...and!

So to give you a little more insight......You buy the car and Evans Halshaw give you a three month warranty...however the car is under finance on an agreement brokered by them..........if the car breaks down in say two years time you contact the finance house concerned..and they sort your problem, because if they dont ...guess what...you are going to stop the payments......now would you expect Evans Halshaw to impart this information to you.................. of course not...why would they wish to stop the possible sale of an extended warranty.

Next Question...............................

How come the car is not at the dealership............

I bought a Picasso from there and it was shipped down from the Newcastle branch. Was in a colour that Hillsboro didn't have so they looked around their dealerships.

My friend is going to get a car from E halshaws on finance, are they ok ??

And what should he look out for or could you pass on any advice i could give him.

I was told with car places like these you can always haggle a little kinda get the price down

So like i say any advice good i can pass on would be great

thanks

DONT !!!!

I bought a Volvo from there, got the price down by haggeling, anyway the car was supposed to have a full service and MOT by E.H.

Picked up the car a week later, book stamped, certificate issued, got the car home and there was all sorts wrong, took it to Stratsones and they confirmed no service had been done (oil was like sludge), MOT was shabby and engine knackard.

Telephoned E.H. and got the run around for days and days on end, so rang DVLA about the MOT due to major safety issues (for example: Rear seat belts not working/damaged) E.H. were then blackbooked by DVLA (Random MOT Spot checks) and car booked in with DVLA for inspection - day before the inspection E.H. cougthed up, completed all the work and extras to sweeten me to drop the DVLA Inspection.... which i did purely for cost reasons (just under £1k engine damage)

My experiance is that E.H. are NOT trustworthy !!!

I am quoting you the law under the sale of goods act....yes the car is warranted whilst ever the finance agreement is in force....this does not mean that you can go out and drive the car as though you stole it.

It means that with sensible use and allowing for the provision of fair wear and tear the car has to do the job it was designed to do....

Ask your self this ....how many people buy a car on a five year finance agreement but actually keep it for five years.

The Mercedes body corrosion warranty is in force for 30 years.....yes ...and!

So to give you a little more insight......You buy the car and Evans Halshaw give you a three month warranty...however the car is under finance on an agreement brokered by them..........if the car breaks down in say two years time you contact the finance house concerned..and they sort your problem, because if they dont ...guess what...you are going to stop the payments......now would you expect Evans Halshaw to impart this information to you.................. of course not...why would they wish to stop the possible sale of an extended warranty.

Next Question...............................

thanks Saracen You seem to be giving some great advice , i will pass this on to my friend and others and im very sure others reading the posts are Taking note as well:thumbsup::)

DONT !!!!

I bought a Volvo from there, got the price down by haggeling, anyway the car was supposed to have a full service and MOT by E.H.

Picked up the car a week later, book stamped, certificate issued, got the car home and there was all sorts wrong, took it to Stratsones and they confirmed no service had been done (oil was like sludge), MOT was shabby and engine knackard.

Telephoned E.H. and got the run around for days and days on end, so rang DVLA about the MOT due to major safety issues (for example: Rear seat belts not working/damaged) E.H. were then blackbooked by DVLA (Random MOT Spot checks) and car booked in with DVLA for inspection - day before the inspection E.H. cougthed up, completed all the work and extras to sweeten me to drop the DVLA Inspection.... which i did purely for cost reasons (just under £1k engine damage)

Omg shocked that they could do that to you

How come the car is not at the dealership.............how can your friend be in the market for a car he has not seen.............come on Evans Halshaw must have a hundred cars on the lot at Hillsborough...and your friend is interested in a car that isnt there!!!!!.

How does he know about a car that is not on physical stock.....

I am trying to help you both here...........you need to help me....

He did see a car there he says but was not keen when he found out it had alot of miles on clock and did not like the colour

Evans stated they could look on there other sites for the same car with lower miles on clock with the colour he wanted and may be a little cheaper as well

so i think he went for there salesman pitch and agreed , they said in order to get the car he had to put a deposit on it , my friend stated if he did not like the car when seen for what ever reason he could he still turn it down etc , they (EVANS) said yes and they would look around for others OR other cars may have come in by then.

to be honest I was thinking of trade-ing my car in soon BUT now after reading your posts and others im having a re-think

Some very interesting comments on this thread.

Contrary to popular belief there is no profit in selling motor cars and there hasnt been for some time.

I am not of course talking about cars at the top end of the market.

The question is of course why would you as buyers want the care dealership to work for nothing?....would you work for nothing?

The average car salesman is on around £10,000 basic and then he has commission on top, is that a crime....

Have you ever considered how much it costs to run a dealership the size of Evans Halshaw....the premises, the rates ,heat, light, power, telephones...the cost of stock,cleaning materials...the staff to look after you.....all these things are the last thing on your mind.

The retail motor industry is going through a very bad patch through no fault of theirs...and the majority of the staff there will be no different to you...they will be struggling to meet their monthly bills.....just trying to survive...when in walks super smart ass who has been advised by the bar room experts to in a word "shaft" them.

The motor industry is no different to any other commercial enterprise, and trust me there is no such thing as as freebie...its been like this for years.

You go out and buy your new car...you know how excited you are...then some prole announces that you could have got this deal that deal...wherever....They never tell you about the bargains BEFORE you set out.

In effect what they are doing is urinating on your chips...cos they havent got a new car.

If your car is not right or the wrong model then quietly and calmly go back and ask to see the manager/controller....dont rubbish the business in the forum....where is that going to get you.

If you cannot get satisfaction then take legal advice...but be warned ..if you have rubbished the dealership concerned in the forum or elsewhere then you have no case.

When you go to buy a car in this climate, before you open your mouth just stop and think......these people are here doing a job and simply trying to earn a living.

Evans Halshaw is part of the largest dealer group in the country.....Pendragon....they employ around 15000 people....would you wish to be instrumental in putting any one of the 15000 out of work.

This dealer group is no better or worse than any other dealership.

They are governed by very tight controls and one wrong move puts their licence at risk from the FSA......................its worth remembering all these little points.

Bad engine ....cracked gearbox...etc.etc. have a little understanding...the dealer did not build the car......

We would of prehaps been a little understanding if the dealer who took the car in and serviced it when they took in on a part exchange had spotted the serious problems. When we took the car back three days after buying it the service team at Evans said it was a simple seal problem and the leak was engine oil.

Service Dept said 200 quid plus to fix, not coverd because it was not one of the listed parts on the warenty. We decided to take it to our regular mechanic, who on looking at the car said it was not a seal the oil was infact gear box oil and should be sorted by the dealer, he also pointed out that a seal being replaced would normally cost about 60 quid. reluctantly they replaced the gearbox but it took lots of hassle to get them to do so. three months later the bloody engine went costing a fortune. On the whole I found the after care down there to be shocking. Fair enough sales men are just earning a living, but if they are doing it buy selling goods not fit for use the reputation and sales are not going to last very long.

Edited by H.P

We've bought from Evans Halshaw in Hillsborough and are in the process of buying from them again. We've received nothing but care, courtesy and a great deal of time from the salesmen in the Used Car section. We did our research before we went in and then test drove a couple of their models before we decided on which one we wanted. There was no pressure whatsoever, only an effort to find the right car for us.

As it happens, I didn't like the sports seats on the car we would have bought. The salesman and the General Manager then searched the local database for one that would suit our requirements. None did, so they're searching nationally and ringing around dealers for us (which we will also do, of course) until we find a model, colour etc that we're happy with. We'll then test drive it.

All in all we spent 3 hours with them yesterday and they couldn't have been more helpful. When you consider they may not even get a sale from this, how much more would you expect from a sales team? They valued our car at the higher end of what we would have expected and offered free extended warranty.

After sales is a different thing. Our C3 developed problems as soon as the warranty expired and cost us a good deal in repairs. However, Evans Halshaw negotiated us 2 good will payments after we complained.

There are legions of complaints about every car, you can't pick on Citroen or one Citroen dealer. We've had problems with Peugeot, Renault and others in the past, but that's part and parcel of owning a mechanical object. They go wrong.

I can't fault Evans Halshaw's team at Hillsborough. They know their stuff and have endless patience with customers. We're looking forward to our C4.

I bought my car before last from them, Renault Scenic Magane, I didn't like the fact that I got pounced on as soon as I went in. I said I was fine 'just looking' and the bloke who was in his 50's/60's said come back to me when you have decided. He was busy talking to someone else so we went to another assistant to settle the deal. While we sat waiting for the other assistant to get the paperwork, the first assistant came up to us and was rather rude wanting to know why we hadn't come straight back to him. I suppose they are on commission but you can't sit around waiting for them to finish when there are salesmen sat around doing nothing. From that experience I chose to go to another dealer when choosing the car I have now. I very much doubt I would ever go back to them again, There are plenty of dealers out there wanting your custom without the need for rudeness like I got from Evans.

iv just bought my corsa sxi from there and been told its had full service and MOT, better have that double checked now haha, havent noticed any problems so far....