Awful symptoms of anxiety and side effects of medication

I know this may sound irrelevant, but after a year of suffering with similar symptoms, e.g. sweating, palpitations, total and utter depression, going to sleep an hour after I woke up in the mornings, it was discovered I had an underactive thyroid. It was so underactive that it had just about stopped working entirely.

It's a simple blood test, as you probably know, worth a try if you haven't done so before. After a week on thyroxine (only 1 small 100mcg tablet) I felt a hell of a lot better. I can't say that it completely eradicated my normal anxiety and depression, I am still coping with that, but it is a lot easier to deal with and I don't require the anxiety tablets I was living on (kalma tablets, over here in Australia).

Good luck, keep up the good fight!

Hi, I recommend a book called 'mind over mood' although you sound failry clued up about CBT so have probably had a look at it anyway? Also, you need to try graded exposure which shouldn't be a process that's rushed, gradually re-introduce yourself to situations and places that cause you to panic.

I know there are several threads started about anxiety and panic attacks I just wondered what your symptoms are if you suffer with this also if you are on medication do you get any side effects.

I myself suffer and have gone through loads of unpleasant symptoms such as breathlessness, shaking, dizziness, sweating profusely, feeling unreal like Im not really here, sort of a dreamlike state, heart palpitations, feeling of heart slowing down, aches and pains, headaches, visual disturbances. These are to name but a few, there may be be some ive missed or some you suffer with but everybody is different.

Is anybody on medication and do you suffer side effects? Ive been on medication for the past two weeks and some of the side affects are pretty much similar to feelings of anxiety and then some. Does anyone go through phases of being well one day and feeling awful the next, awful being the need to rest and hardly moving from the sofa. Feeling so weak and feeble that you cannot do anything at all? Well I have felt like that and it is horrible. Sometimes you feel like you are going insane or are more ill than you think. This is not true although it is hard to believe at times of anxiety and panic. Anyone who wants to PM me or simply leave your reply is welcome.

Yeah I feel well one day and awful the next, the latter being that I can hardly get off the sofa. I will have to stop taking my antipsychotic because I lose my energy and fitness.

Edited by esme
quote tags