When is a "no entry" sign not a "no entry" sign?

I think theres a sign on Cemetery Rd near Cliff St giving advanced warning of the status of the signs in question.

And if you didnt see that sign you could always turn left and head back up Napier St. Or even turn round! But, lets be honest (unlike MPs), most of the people who get that far know full well its No Entry.

How long has it been like that? Used to go to work that way until February.

(But usually after 9.30)

There's the No Entry sign on West Street/Glossop Road 4.30-6.30 which is ignored by hundreds, and the Council won't enforce due to .... the recession?!?!?!?:huh::loopy::confused: according to last week's Telegraph.

How long has it been like that? Used to go to work that way until February.

(But usually after 9.30)

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say several years.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say several years.

Up to July 2007, on my journey home from work (anytime between 4pm and 6pm) I used to come out of Napier Street and down Boston Street to the lights, and there were no restrictions there at that time that I was aware of. I've even come that way on the odd occasion since (from Waitrose or the petrol station) and had no idea it was restricted, although I've only come that way once this year. The only sign I can recall is the tall keep-left arrow on the island before the road splits.

But then, if I'm coming out of Napier Street, have I already unwittingly bypassed or avoided the No Entry/restriction? If so, why was traffic never forced to go back up Cemetery Road?

:huh:

Edited by Shazbat

Up to July 2007, on my journey home from work (anytime between 4pm and 6pm) I used to come out of Napier Street and down Boston Street to the lights, and there were no restrictions there at that time that I was aware of. I've even come that way on the odd occasion since (from Waitrose or the petrol station) and had no idea it was restricted, although I've only come that way once this year. The only sign I can recall is the tall keep-left arrow on the island before the road splits.

But then, if I'm coming out of Napier Street, have I already unwittingly bypassed or avoided the No Entry/restriction? If so, why was traffic never forced to go back up Cemetery Road?

:huh:

I'm not certain but I think the restrictions may only apply for the morning peak period.

No idea how this works if you approach from Napier St because you will have bypassed the advanced warning sign. :huh: You can just about see if the restriction is in place from the end of Napier St though.

when it's at the bottom of Cemetry Road during rush hour.

Everytime I travel from Nether Edge into town during the morning rush hour on the bus the journey is held up at the bottom of Cemetry Road by motorists ignoring the no entry (bus access only) sign. After the rush hour is over I think this sign reverts back to access to all. The traffic lights are set to change for a limited period of time i.e. to let the bus out so it takes ages to get through.

Personally can't see the point of it being no entry (bus access only) if nobody takes any notice and no penalities seem to be issued. I'm sure either the Police force or Sheffield Council could increase their finances if tickets were issued to offending motorists and fines collected. The traffic would also move quicker.

AND SHARROWVALE ROAD at the junction with Cowlishaw Road where cars just drive straight through AND then also compound matters by turning left or right in to Junction Road at the Hunters Bar roundabout.

This goes on because there aint no enforcement. Enforcement through road cameras might help because the council would make a flaming fortune and then they wouldnt need to charge for parking permits

They used to have enforcement days at that junction. You could sit and watch people queued up to get a ticket. Occasionally one person in the queue would realise what was happening and do a U-turn, only for the person behind to screech forward in their rush to get a ticket. Made interesting viewing.

The No Entry on West Street is ignored by more people though.