Train Station closed to non ticket holders

We can solve this with some simple logic then.

Problem - stop people boarding trains without ticket.

Solution - stop access to platforms without ticket

So, blocking the bridge would work.

But, so would blocking the stairs to each platform.

QED - There is no need to block the bridge as an alternative exists.

completely ignoring the reality of crowd management ... and the fact that the bridge is network rail's private property and there is no Public right of way over that bridge ...

Well, DUH! Has it not occurred to you that the reason the footbridge being put there was because of the NEED for one?

and the need was to link the supertram stop with the railway station ...?

theres some very arrogant comments on here by seeming pro emt supporters blocking the bridge is making sheffield a laughing stock once again well done Emt

rather than the comments from those who fail to realise that the bridge is private property and does not have a legally established right of way over it ?

rather than the comments from those who understand crowd safety and revenue protection ?

rather than the comments from those who realise that just because public money may have been spent on something doesn't mean that the public have the right to freely roam through it without good reason to be there ?

because thats not a popular gateway into the city centre i dont go down a slide to get into the city thats why . so wait for next train when you have to be somewhere at a certain time give over . all your points are floored

I've waited in that ticket queue on a friday at around 3pm and been there for 40 minutes. When you have one train an hour, even local, it's not worth faffing. How much time in advance should you allow before that wait for the one working ticket machine is their fault?

Edited by babybel
spelling

I will try to explain this to you.

The railway takes billions of pounds every year from taxpayers. This is because it is considered to offer benefits over and above those that will be paid for out of fare revenue.

It has been reported that passenger numbers are reducing and that some franchises are looking at re-negotiation. This means that there will be more subsidy required, as obviously private companies cannot be expected to suffer. So, while the case for subsidies is diminishing as less people are travelling, the rail companies are looking to receive more subsidy. Now when the railway reduces the amount of public utility (in this case by blocking the bridge), it undermines the case for that subsidy.

So really the railway needs to take a view - is it a private business, responsible to its shareholders, or is it a failing business that should be subsidised to increase public utility? If its the former, remove the subsidies, if it is the latter, remove the barriers.

It has been stated in the national press that fare dodging loses the railway £270-400m pa. Obviously something should be done about this; just not this.

rather than the comments from those who fail to realise that the bridge is private property and does not have a legally established right of way over it ?

rather than the comments from those who understand crowd safety and revenue protection ?

rather than the comments from those who realise that just because public money may have been spent on something doesn't mean that the public have the right to freely roam through it without good reason to be there ?

I've waited in that ticket queue on a friday at around 3pm and been there for 40 minutes. When you have one train an hour, even local, it's not worth faffing. How much time in advance should you allow before that wait for the one working ticket machine is their fault?

totally agree with you thats my point its a money grabbing exercise by Emt in my opinion

No-one sensible has said that they are happy with the fare dodging, or that it's OK to permit the fare dodgers to get away with it. I think that the train Operators should crack down on them but not at the expense of the innocent.

However the path through the station is very important to the area and the people in the area, on a number of levels, and should not be barred.

its a public bridge. In my opinion emt should do a viable alternative instead of being bully boys because thats what they are at the moment and not even talking to part of the same company eg Supertram is disgusting .