Keeping Chickens: Where DO you start!

Well Chez2,

You seem very clude up when it comes to hens ducks and fish, But I know that buying a pump for my ponds with ducks is more trouble than its probebly worth. I have been having to clean the filter sponge in the pump almost on a daily basis and this is mainly because theres no grass left on the ground near the ponds and the ducks come out with wet feet walk on the soil garden it just goes into the ponds. And I supose you right about the fish, it would just make matters alot worse.

Steve

Where do you start!!??!!

You start with a mummy chicken and a daddy chicken who love each other very much.

That or a clucking tart and a right ****, 10 pints and some coke up their nose, dogging in a town centre. :cool:

HI Chez2,

I will give flubenvet powder a try for my hens, how much does it cost?

I will email you some pictures this afternoon of my ponds and hen huts when the sun is right.

I am also thinking about lawn turfing around the pond areas where the hens don't go. You will see what I mean from the pictures.

Steve

HI Chez2,

I will give flubenvet powder a try for my hens, how much does it cost?

I will email you some pictures this afternoon of my ponds and hen huts when the sun is right.

I am also thinking about lawn turfing around the pond areas where the hens don't go. You will see what I mean from the pictures.

Steve

I don't know because I buy the big tubs. Last time I looked it was almost £20. Phone them and find out.

http://www.cwg.co.uk/contentpage.aspx?tabId=317

You might get it at other agricultural shops of maybe some big pet stores. It will last you ages. Its cheaper on line. I buy the 2.5% 240g tub but you don't need this. The 60g tub of 1% is fine if you only have a few birds.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Flubenvet-1-Medicated-Premixture-60g/productinfo/FLUBMP1/

Hi Chez2,

Hay thanks for the link I will try the second the second link that you sent.

By the way got one egg today so I hope the rest follow suit or i will just replace them.

Kind Regards

Steve

[quote

Chez2;7773954]I don't know because I buy the big tubs. Last time I looked it was almost £20. Phone them and find out.

http://www.cwg.co.uk/contentpage.aspx?tabId=317

You might get it at other agricultural shops of maybe some big pet stores. It will last you ages. Its cheaper on line. I buy the 2.5% 240g tub but you don't need this. The 60g tub of 1% is fine if you only have a few birds.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Flubenvet-1-Medicated-Premixture-60g/productinfo/FLUBMP1/

Hi All,

Still no eggs, I feel very shell shocked, I will be forced to go to Asda.

But as regards to worming, I use Verm X Pellets to worm my hens which come in a 1.5kg jar priced at £41

I only put a lite sprikle in thair poultry mix once a month.

The Verm x pellets also says that this product fattens your hens up for the dinner table it does say on the label.

But I don't fancy eating mine but I know some owners do.

kind Regards

Steve

Not read all posts, but to prevent worms, I use 'Natracare cider vinegar' bought from a poultry supplier and put a cap full in the water every few weeks - so am hoping this is right info... Seems to have worked for us for our ex-bat warrens

One thing that does happen every 2 months or so one of the girls drops a few eggs with no shell or what looks like a shell which is really spongy...

Not sure why, we provide plenty of grit and oyster shell, but stilll we get this every now and then - all ex-batts, whether this has anything to do with it......

Any ideas??

Thanks

Edited by proplus
spelling!

Not read all posts, but to prevent worms, I use 'Natracare cider vinegar' bought from a poultry supplier and put a cap full in the water every few weeks - so am hoping this is right info... Seems to have worked for us for our ex-bat warrens

Cider vinegar doesn't prevent worms or kill them but it does help a bit. The amount of vinegar you add depends in the size of the drinker you have. I will look the dosage up if I remember. I use a measuring scoop so I don't have to keep looking the dosage up.

The cider vinegar makes their gut a little more acidic which helps keep them healthy but can't be used as a wormer. It also prevents the drinkers going green in strong sunlight but it should only be used with plastic drinkers never metal ones. If you use it with metal ones it corrodes the metal and the hens ingest the metal in the water.