Brightside foundry heating & vent

Hi I worked in the drawing office From Dec 1967 to Sept 1970, the office was in the old foundry offices in Ecclesfield We moved to Cumberland Street, between the Family planning Cinic and the House of nets during th early part of 1970.Wilf Blagg was the manager and Kieth Valentine Was Contracts manager (Bull) Geoge Jackson.Mick Holman (Little Bull) Derek Tingle, ? Turton an old fitter. and Ron Plews were contract Engineers. Jack Osbaldiston was Planner Estimator and Jeff Platts was the Accountant. Bill Gears was Assistant Manager. The site Supervisor Were Albert Summerhayes Ray Fluett Gren Crapper and Terry Scarborough, sorry I can't recall any more names for the forum

Hi sfothers,Len Cooper lived next door to me on Shirecliffe his son Dave worked there as well.Ernest reid lived across the road.

Brightside 1975 to 1980. The names I remember, on top of the ones already posted. Remember the stores used to be on Alliance Street.

Jack Smith

Stan Jackson

Mick Schwartz

Russell Watts

Glyn Hall Apprentice

Andy Miles Apprentice

Brian Roberts Apprentice

Brian ( chuckles ) Robinson

John Cromwell

Roy Vollum

Steve (Nobby) Clarke

Martin Adi

Tommy Jameson

Mick Priest

Frank Bailey

Alan Bentley

Harold Cutts ?

Steve Boot

Tommy Johnson

Arthur Horner

Jess ?

Dave Mathers

Ian Masling ?

Hi Steve.

Hope you are keeping well. I had forgotten you worked for Brightside. Have you come back to England.

Seems a hell of a long time. since you left C M S. Damn good job that was.

Dave Hart is the only one still working there. Unless he has retired.

All the best Mick

Hi Roy

I remember you well. I was on the same job as you at Jessop Savilles Foundry on Brightside Lane. Tommy Bacon was in charge, Ron Dolpin was a fitter, I believe at the time you were still an apprentice (1955ish)and then Dave Hovey and myself Mick Scott apprentices. You used to give me a lift to town on your Triumph. Of course I knew your dad and uncle (Charlie and Fred) I worked with Fred quite a lot over the years. I don't think I met up with you after that but it is one period I remember well.

Hello All.

Just joined the Sheffield Forum today. I am Mike (Mick) Matthews.

I worked for Brightside Heat and Vent from about 1963 to about 1969

I remember the jobs at Stanley Works Woodside (Ray Flewitt), Hyde Park flats (Grenville Crapper), Sheff University(Ray Vaughan) and a couple out of town, Union Carbide in Swindon and another in Kirkby Liverpool.

Hi Mick

I worked on all three of those jobs in Sheffield but I don't know if I was on them the same time as you. I left Brightside in 1967. Unfortunately Grenville and Ray Vaugn have passed away now,but I remember some good times with both of them. I don''t know about Ray Flewitt but he must be pushing 80 now

Mick Scott

Hi Mick

I worked on all three of those jobs in Sheffield but I don't know if I was on them the same time as you. I left Brightside in 1967. Unfortunately Grenville and Ray Vaugn have passed away now,but I remember some good times with both of them. I don''t know about Ray Flewitt but he must be pushing 80 now

Mick Scott

Hi Mick (Scott)

I seem to remember that the "Crappers", numbered 3.

Herbert, Grenville and Roger.

Is that right ?

Also do you remember David Palmer, we were good friends on the University job?

Mick (Matthews).

Hi Mike

Yes you are right there were three Crappers. Herbert was quite a character. He had a long standing feud with another character called Cyril Silkstone,

I worked a lot with them both. If I remember rightly David Palmers dad or uncle worked there as well, I think his name was Frank.

Hi Steve.

Hope you are keeping well. I had forgotten you worked for Brightside. Have you come back to England.

Seems a hell of a long time. since you left C M S. Damn good job that was.

Dave Hart is the only one still working there. Unless he has retired.

All the best Mick

Mick,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I don't log on SF as much as I used to. It tends to go in phases.

It's funny how very few people seem to keep in touch via SF. I think that there are lots of people that I knew (at school as well as work) who are not computer users. Sad really, as it would be great to catch up with people. I would really like to know if Brian Stent is still alive and well. Brian was the charge-hand on my first job at Brightside (Hardypick Foundry at Laycock's). I was a little fifteen year-old, so he put me working with Mick Needham. Both Mick and Brian were great to work with, and I eventually worked with Brian a lot during my apprentice years. I had massive respect for him, and still do. One of the best people I've ever worked with.

I agree with you that the BSC job was one in a million. Had things been different I might probably have stayed there. However, I would probably have boozed myself to death, because at the time, I was burning the candle at both ends and in the middle, too. I don't have any regrets, but would like to have the full BSC pension to look forward to, but you can't have your cake, and eat it, as the saying goes. I had a fantastic time working all over the world after I left BSC, but I've been back in England for several years now, living in Hertfordshire with wife and two boys.

It would be good to hear from you, and to find out how the others from our 'team' are getting along. I'd particularly like to know how Bob McDonald is, so I look forward to hearing from you. My email is [email protected], so if you would prefer to keep it private then by all means use email as a medium.

Steve

I started at brightside 1950 new all the names above does any one know how many of them died of asbestoes .regards roy,

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 23:59 ----------

any one know who died from asbestos at brightside,cheers Roy.

Calling all Brightside 'Old Boys'! I'm working on a photographic and written account of a personal odyssey from the Don's source up on Grains Moss, to where it ends (sort of) in the appallingly named 'Dutch River' at Goole. Coincidentally, and maybe fortuitously, a couple of weeks ago I received an email from my tutor at UEA (where I'm a mature undergraduate) informing me of the opportunity to take part in a competition being run by Penguin Books.

Entrants to the competition, called 'The Penguin Wayfarer', are required to submit a two minute film highlighting their favourite walks. I decided to enter, using my 'Don Project' as material, and lo and behold, I have made it onto the long-list of twenty 'best' films. These twenty are now subject to online voting, and the ten most popular will be shortlisted for selection by Robert Macfarlane, the author of last year's bestselling book on walking 'The Old Ways'.

The winner will receive the wonderful prize of being paid to walk around England, writing, filming, and blogging about the various journeys. The winner also receives several thousand pounds worth of camping equipment, cameras, etc., with which to complete the assignment.

My film (and the other long-listed films) can be viewed at http://www.ajourneyonfoot.com. I'm currently in sixth place, and would benefit from a little help to hopefully boost my personal ballot. THAT, my dear Old Boys, is what I'm asking, most respectfully, from you. Would you please take a couple of minutes to click on the link and give me your vote? Voting ends at midnight on 26th June.

I would be most grateful for any help (and votes), and if I win, I'll be happy to provide the main Sheffield Forum with a first hand account of my 'Wayfarer' exploits as I experience them.

Best wishes,

Steve Fothergill