Oak cakes and Pikelets

Oatcakes and pikelets always reminds me of the following story.

My grandparents lived in a village just outside Sheffield in the 1920's. Every week the oatcake and pikelet man would walk round the village with his large wicker basket, shouting in his "light" high pitched voice, "Oatcakes and pikelets".

One day grandad, who was profoundly deaf, was sat outside the front door reading his newspaper. Two of my uncles who were in their early teens, and were always up to some mischief, were hiding behind the garden hedge. As the pikelet man came down the street, my uncles started to mimic his cries in falsetto voices. As he came near to my grandparents' cottage, grandad must have seen him out of the corner of his eye. Grandad looked up from his newspaper, just in time to see the pikelet man stick his tongue out at him. Grandad muttered to himself, "What's up wi that silly bugger?". Meanwhile both my uncles were rolling about with laughter.

Memories are wonderful ..... it's amazing how someone can put a familiar 'subject' on here and we are instantly 'transported' back to our youth. Brilliant

Thee old Pikelet man used to come up Foxhill Avenue,(late 70s) He must have been 350 years old.My mum used to buy them off him because she felt sorry for him.

Can't really remember what they tasted like though.

yes i remember him and his bike. andover street in the 70s. back in t,day before muggings lol

The oatcakes and picklets from the shop in Hillsborough were delicious. I liked to go there not only to watch the picklets being made but to stroke the huge black and white cat that slept amongst the piles of cooked oatcakes and picklets in the shop window. Can you imagine this happening today?

Thee old Pikelet man used to come up Foxhill Avenue,(late 70s) He must have been 350 years old.My mum used to buy them off him because she felt sorry for him.

Can't really remember what they tasted like though.

They used to taste gorgeous once hot and with melted real butter!

Would probably give me indigestion now lol.

eric & jean dawson,for many years producing pikelets & oatcakes from their premises below the heeley city farm,heeley.

great people,sadly no longer with us...don't know if their son carried on the family business.they were really a wonderful couple.

The pikelet man used to live a few doors away from me on Lofthouse Road. He had the shop on the corner of Lofthouse and Beulah Road and used to deliver them all over Parson Cross and Foxhill using an old bike with a big wicker basket on the front.

His name was Mr Dawson, always wore a brown overall/coat thing and a trilby and he was always telling us off for kicking a football against his wall.

Happy days!