was just wondering if any1 has tried caster oil to try and induce labour and if so did it have any affect?

iv read up on the net about it and there seems to be alot of side affects yet it worked for most people

They tried to give this to my mum back in the '70's with my brother and she was having none of it. Tastes gross and has a laxative effect like no other. They have fancy new induction drugs (or other more fun things to try... curry etc!) that are much safer!

iv read about the laxative effects and they dont sound pleasant lol iv tried a few things but nothing yet!also read about using evening primrose oil is meant to help...never heard of it before but gotta be worth a try!

really wouldnt try castor oil unless you want to be pooping every where when you are in labour! sperm contains prostaglandins which induce labour, pineapple is said to work or alternatively just wait till he is ready!by the way how many weeks are you is it your first baby?

going to try pineapple tomorrow but on quite a few websites it says it doesnt really induce labour just gets your cervix prepared,suppose its worth a try though and im 39 week pregnant with my second

I have tried castor oil - it didn't give me runs but did give me bad stomach pains - it did scare me cause I thought oh god what have I done! but after a couple of hours these settled and I went into labour. So it did work but I don't think I would do it again, I can't even look at anything that looks remotely like it with out gipping- it is disgusting :s

thats what is putting me off...the taste and of course the side effects!but you was one of the lucky ones!if i try it then fingers crossed i will be lol how long after taking the caster oil did you go in to labour?

It's worth being aware that there's a possibility it can cause the baby to poo before/during birth, which can be dangerous for both of you.

Not trying to scare you, I just think it's worth looking very closely at all possibilities.

I remember all too well those miserable last weeks...but baby will come when baby is ready, and it's probably best to stick with sex, long walks and cleaning the floors than ingesting laxatives.

Edited by cosywolf

I took it in the evening probably around 7 or 8ish and woke up about 2am in morning with the pains. The pains were continuous cramps at first then after a few hours changed into labour pains (coming an going). So it was only a matter of hours. You do have to take a lot - I took a couple of tea spoons, phoned my mum to tell her I had done it and she said no you need to take 2-3 tablespoons !! I feel really sick just remembering it and it was 5 years ago!!

I didn't use castor oil as the science just didn't add up to me. However I did have baths with a few drops of clary sage oil. It is supposed to help induce labour. Whether or not it does is anyone's guess! Although I did go into labour on my due date and my DS was born within 6 hours. Guess we just like to feel we're doing SOMETHING to get things going!

Edited by nosyla

clary sage can induce labour but should really only used if you have had advice on how to use it correctly as in severe cases it can cause hemorrhages which is not ideal! the cervix needs to ripen to get you into labour - so pineapple might be good. lol at the things we will try to get these little ones to arrive! i remember it well.

Castor oil can and does work, as do plenty of other things... however, in the absence of a medical emergency or a looming induction date, isn't it better to keep the baby in its comfy home, where it is still doing some really important growing and developing? At Jessops they only give post dates inductions at 40+12 to 14. Babies all have different gestation periods, and in the vast majority of cases, they know when they are ready!

If I were you, unless it is really necessary, make the most of this time before a newborn enters your life, and it is turned upside down!!! (in a wonderful way of course,but upside down nonetheless!) Do things you won't be able to do again for ages - get a pregnancy massage, go the the cinema. Relax and enjoy some you time! :)