What do you think of the signing on the dole experience?

Anyone want to employ an apprentice electrician

i was signing on for 5 months, Luckily it was during the job centre re-furb so i didnt have to go in and sign on for about 3 of the 5 months!

The one thing that really upset me was that i couldn't get any funding from the jobcentre to do any computer courses until i had been unemployed for 6 months :(

i got back into work by volunteering then i went Self Employed and now doing really well,

has anyone tried BIG? they help you to set up into Self-Employment:thumbsup:

I am not on the 'Dole' and can't understand why so many people are! Excuses I've heard is ''I have kids so can't work'', ''not enough jobs'' .. WHAT a load of rubbish. I was a pregnant 16 schoolgirl, went to school til 8 months pregnant, returned to school 4 days after giving birth to sit exams. BTW I was a single mum, I went to college, worked part time earning £61 a week, paying £200 a week childcare costs. NOW i own severasl businesses WHICH I SET UP ON MY OWN. If I was PM, I'd banish dole money, no excuse for not working.

so who'd you dump the kids on!!

ON WHOS BACK DID YOU RIDE TO ACHIEVE ALL THIS ?YOU DID NOT DO IT ON YOUR OWN YOUR SUMS DEFINATELY DONT ADD UP£61 - £200 ? TELL ME ARE ALL YOUR BUSINESSES STILL THRIVING ? NOT EVERYONECAN BE THEIR OWN BOSS, YOU DONT MAKE SENSE YOU SNOTTY LITTLE COW, I LEFT SCHOOL AT 15 THEY DID NOT CARE IF YOU HAD ANY EXAMS. I WAS MARRIED AND A DAD AT 18. WORKED HARD ALL MY LIFE, RETRAINED IN MY EARLY 20s DID 2 CITY AND GUILDS WHILE WORKING 6 DAY WEEKS AND LONG HOURS FROM 6am, SO YOU CANNOT CALL ME A SLACKER OR A SCROUNGER, I AM NOW 59 AN FULLY PAID UP, BUT I STILL CANT GET WORK FOR 10MONTHS NOW

Well I've been on and off the dole for years, despite 3 university degrees and endless bits of re-training and other NewLab-type bumph. What I don't understand are those people who love to point the finger at the unemployed - you know the type of thing: "They don't want to work; they just want to sit at home and live off benefits; feckless; idle; etc., etc." and whatever else comes to mind at the time. So to those people: YOU're lucky enough to have a career and so on, why do you think that entitles you to **** on those who don't? Or is that really the main benefit of your employment? As for the dole and fellow dole-ites: if the UK government REALLY didn't want people on the dole then they wouldn't allow 500,000 immigrants per year into this country. If you think I'm exaggerating, let me tell you, when working it's ME who teaches them English! They come here on (very expensive) student visas which give them the right to work 20 hrs. per week (which of course means as much as they want!) and they don't even show up in the immigration statistics. So all parties talk tough on immigration but leave the back door standing wide open. And why? Because they want to use immigration to control inflation - having loads of (lazy, feckless, etc.) people on the dole is just part of the process. Don't you think the City Of London would love it if all workers got only £60 per week? Damned right they would and you suckers who fall for the propaganda, well, it's going to be YOU one of these days - mark my words!

Well there's certainly a lot of chat here about being unemployed, having to live on the dole, having to go through the stresses and strains of attending the dole office every two weeks and explaining to them whether or not you've been looking for work.

Then there's businesswoma' boasting about how easily she found work and set up her business empire, saying; "There's jobs out there if you go out and get them, there's no need to live on the dole".

I have no doubt a lot of you will look at my signature and say to yourselves; "Oh my god another snobby nosed business person who's come to boast.....", Well you're wrong!

I'm going to tell you a true story (as short as possible to save space), whether or not you believe what I tell you is entirely up to you, but I assure you it's the truth; "I sympathize with all of you that are on the dole, whether you've only been on it for six months or many years. When I was young I suffered a lot of ill health, I missed school a lot and due to that I didn't learn very much. I left school at the age of 15 with no qualifications. During the next 7 years I was in and out of trouble with the police, by the time I reached the age of 22 I decided I'd had enough of breaking the law simply because I was making matters worse for myself, 7 years had flown by and I'd only worked one month. Simply because nobody would give a job to a criminal. During the next 27 years or so I spent most of my time on the dole, any work I did was private odd-jobs earning a few pounds here and there to see me by until I collected my dole from the post office. At the age of 52 I was really down in the dumps. I actually tried to kill myself twice, but for some reason or other I survived, I couldn't think why at first and then I decided it was because something unknown to me, maybe God, was pointing out to me I had a purpose in life. I decided to go to Adult Education College and study for a qualification in Environmental Conservation and Maths. To my great surprise I gained the qualifications. At the age of 54 I set up my own gardening business, but I felt a strong urge to help other people less fortunate than me, so a year later I set up my present business. Now I'm training other people who cannot get a job simply because at some stage in their life they've been in trouble with the police or because they have no qualifications. Im not earning a vast fortune, as a matter of fact I work for my DOLE. By doing that I'm serving the community, I'm not classed as a scrounger!"

Businesswoma' is right, there is a lot of work out there to be done, but it requires "YOU" to set it up. If you really want work, work for your dole, at least it's better than sitting on your a--- all day doing nothing!

I am not on the 'Dole' and can't understand why so many people are! Excuses I've heard is ''I have kids so can't work'', ''not enough jobs'' .. WHAT a load of rubbish. I was a pregnant 16 schoolgirl, went to school til 8 months pregnant, returned to school 4 days after giving birth to sit exams. BTW I was a single mum, I went to college, worked part time earning £61 a week, paying £200 a week childcare costs. NOW i own severasl businesses WHICH I SET UP ON MY OWN. If I was PM, I'd banish dole money, no excuse for not working.

You should be ashamed to have been pregnant at 16. It is a sad indictment on your parents for not having taught you right from wrong.

Its not their fault they lost their job but it is their fault for not looking for work. Dole money is totally different from CCTC, CCTC means I WAS/AM working, DOLE means you're not working.. completely different, I did everything I could to work i.e I got a mortgage, bought my home to have equity in which I could use to build up a business, hence my 1st business, then when that was established, I put money into a 2nd business, then a 3rd. People want life easily handed on a plate and aren't prepared to sacrifice. I now have 3 daughters, look after them myself as well as running 3 businesses. I claim NO benefits and more people should take this leaf from my book and stop relying on the state. GET A JOB guys

No Family Allowance then, Which i'd guess would be same amount roughly as somebody gets on JSA.

I run an online employment service called Jobs4Everyone that was set up to help people back into work.

Over the past two weeks we have been operating inside of the Bailey Court Job Centre Plus on West Street and can honestly say that we have found the staff to be very helpful.

We have also had such a positive response from 99% of people seeking work and I think it is unfair how people seem to get labelled and judged upon for signing on. Of course, there is always going to be a minority who for whatever reason try to make the most out of the system but on the whole everyone who we came into contact with were good honest people genuinely looking for work.

As for the 'what have you done to look for work this past 2 weeks' comment, this is not the advisers fault but to me seems a way of the DWP trying to standardise the experience that every job seeker has.

Due to the loss in funding the Job Centre has seen the time available to spend with each customer has been reduced and so with that unfortunately comes a loss in quality.

Just one of those things i'm afraid, not really anyone's fault but the systems[/i]

Edited by jobs4everyon
type-o