Hillsbrough in the 80s?

I used to hang around hillsborough in my misspent youth....

I used to go drinking in the vic, and the masons, as well as the old crown and the cricketers

I used to go clubbing in Christies, at the wednesday ground. me and my mates had good fun there (Remember the chromed dj-booth that stood in the middle of the dance floor?) I havent been in the building that was Christies, for, ooh, gosh over 20 yrs...

PT

PT, I remember going in there a couple of times, was more like a youth club than a night club as far as I can recall.

Originally posted by muddycoffee

I grew up in hillsborough, went to hillsborough school and had lots of friends who lived in those terraces, on grant/lofthouse etc. I grew up in a semi detached house and was always amazed by the housebrick lined pathways along the passages to the backs. I always remember the cricket stumps painted on the wall with white paint. At the wall on the right of the houses, where people walked into bassets

the wall you are on about was the sunblest factory, we used them most days,i remember them well.

Originally posted by CathS

I used to hang out in Hillsbourough in the 80's and 90's. My friends mum and dad ran a B&B on penistone road next to the Wedsnesday ground.

It's changed alot hasnt it

Cath

would that have been called anns??

I was born and lived on Harewood Road, no.8 first house off Beaulah Road. My dad drove a coach which was often parked outside our house. I have very fond memories and miss living there still. It only seems like yesterday and we left when I was 18. I'm now 41. I remember the chippie. It was Mrs packs then Annie bought it. Annie also owned the shop on Dutton Road. The shop at the top of our street was yvonnes and the shop at the bottom of Lofthouse was Georges. Does anyone remember Cash having the cafe at the bottom of Harewood. Used to have pin ball machines in. There is a good book available called "Owlerton Camera" which has pictures of the area. Available from Waterstones book shop

Originally posted by lb1kjw

I remember the chippie. It was Mrs packs then Annie bought it. Annie also owned the shop on Dutton Road.

That's brought back memories! I used to go to school with Lynne Pack. Annie was called Davenport, married to Dennis and had two lads-John and Dennis. Before they had the shop and Chippy, they lived in the next yard to us on Lofthouse...number 31 to be exact.

Thanks for that ....I'd forgotten all about the Davenports (and their dog Kim!)

I was Born at Dutton Road in 1960 number 26 my father was Alex Hall and his family had lived there for some time. My Auntie Dora, Dads sister, lived just up from us next to a small shop in the middle of Dutton Road. Her husband name was Pete and she had two children Margaret and philip.

Uncle Pete kept pigeons behind his yard like many others.

I remember looking over the wall into what must have been the river Don and Bassets factory where my aunty later worked, she used to get me 7pound boxes of jelly babies as a christmas present.

We used to go to the Sportsman and i recall they had what were probably wooden motoribikes that were in a sort of beer garden.

We left the area when i was about 6 and moved to Heeley but my aunt and her family stayed until the houses were pulled down and she finally went to parsons cross. We went to visit them occasionally until they moved.

If anyone knows anything about my dad or his family it would benice to hear about it. Thanks

yes i remember it well, the roadworks too (even took a pic of 'em!)....cos there was a playing field near kelvin flats, beneath where the pigeon lofts are now. this field was built over for the road, and i was dead bitter about it at the time, given the need for green space around infirmary road...

however once they began to divert the traffic etc. infirmary road became alot quieter, although they didn't improve it UNTIL kelvin had been demolished!

but this is getting off topic, sorry !

:)

Thanks Royal Regular, Yes you are correct it was Burnard.

I remember the attic as phillip told me a ghost story on one occasion when I stayed there as a child.

The Last time i saw Philip was at my Mum's funeral in 1997 when he brought his mum and two other aunties. funny but at the time i thought about how small they were three aging sisters but lovely ladies and they made my dad feel better as it had been some time since he had seen them.

I believe Philip had worked a Bentley Pit in Doncaster and Bentley as where mum and dad ended there days. Small world at times.

Any idea what philip is up to now?

I haven't seen Philip for about 40 years! In fact, I'd forgotten all about him til you jogged the old memory.

Thanks for that.

as any1 got any pics of hillsborough from the 1980/90 era thanks.

Originally posted by sbrrakp

as any1 got any pics of hillsborough from the 1980/90 era thanks.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/

try the link, you never know what your gonna find, i too have been after some old pics of hillsborough, but the ones i want arnt on here... id love one of lofthouse rd....:)