Can anyone tell me about the Grand Hotel?

barker.jpg

Is it on that photo at all? I'm not sure which angle that's taken from.

Looking down Barkers Pool with Mothercare on the right and Holland & Barratt on the left. The Grand occupied all of the Fountain Precinct site opposite the bottom side of the City Hall, Orchard Lane and the part of Leopold St up to what now is the Yorkshire Building Society.

I used to use the Grand as a route from the 'Three Tuns' to the 'Lion' at the back of the City Hall, especially if it was raining. In a fantasy frame of mind, imagine meeting Johnny Spitzer and Teddy Brown in the revolving doors. The stuff of nightmares.

Arthur Fearn, didn't you mean Teddy BROWN who was chucking his money around?

Hi Texas you are correct it was Teddy Brown, ihave been calling him by the wrong name for years, you must be around my age group to remember him.Bye for now.

I used to use the Grand as a route from the 'Three Tuns' to the 'Lion' at the back of the City Hall, especially if it was raining. In a fantasy frame of mind, imagine meeting Johnny Spitzer and Teddy Brown in the revolving doors. The stuff of nightmares.

A grand pint in the red lion did you go in there when the bagatelle table was there

Good spot Texas. Teddy Johnson was a singer in a duo with his wife Pearl Carr. They finished second in the 1959 Eurovision Song Contest with "Sing Little Birdie".

thats where i got Teddy Johnson from

I did go in the Lion when the bagatelle table was in residence. As I've said before it was the best pint of Stones's in the city.

Looking down Barkers Pool with Mothercare on the right and Holland & Barratt on the left. The Grand occupied all of the Fountain Precinct site opposite the bottom side of the City Hall, Orchard Lane and the part of Leopold St up to what now is the Yorkshire Building Society.
Hi Crookesey Ican remember that scene of Barkers Pool very well, do you know the date of it, my father was probably sat in one of the taxis on the rank there, he plyed for hire there, and on Leopold st, before the war , and was the first man to have one of the STREALINE taxis ,they were Wolsleys black with a yellow flash down the side ,anyone remember them?

I worked as 'Head Cellarman' at the Grand in the early 60's. It was owned at the time by Russell Hotel Group in London which also included the Grand at Manchester and another in Leeds. The Manager was a Frank Rendall, a real gent, who was replaced by a Scot Mc. something or other. Always boasted about being from the top family on the Isle of Skye. The Head Waiter was 'Mister Bert' an Italian who, I believe, had been interned on the Isle of Man in World War II. The night porter was called 'Dennis', the Head Receptionist was the formidable Miss Bogan' and the clef d'or was another Scot whose name I forget. I remember many faces but not names. A Wine Waiter was called 'Leslie' another, a Londoner called 'Tom'. The Round Bar was accessed by going down steps from Leopold St. The Smoke Bar was at the top of some steps from Leopold St. This was run by a lady who also had a newagents at Highfields. She was the only female allowed there as it was foir 'Gentlemen Only'. This was full of characters including an ex Chelsea 'toff' who had a stall in Barnsley Market. Past the Smoke Bar were showcases for Swan & Edgar (I dated a window dresser from there at one time). Further down on the right was the American Bar (the only cocktail bar in Sheffield!!) ran by 'Roland' who also had a newsagents down Heeley way (Arundel Rd?). Then there was a Dispense Bar, not open to the public but purely for service to the restaurant. The 'high season' was October-March when events for 200 plus were staged most nights. All the Steel Works works had their annual and Christmas do's there as there was no other venue except the Victoria Hotel. Ther main entrance faced the City Hall. I remember survivors from the Sheffield City Batallion from WWI also having a reunion there. All the stars who appeared at the City Hall etc stayed there including Frank Sinatra JNR who appeared with a reformed Dorsey? band. A telephonist got me his autograph but as I couldn't read it I dumped it. When a new lift was installed an old medieval well was discovered in the cellar. It was promptly filled in and is located somewhere under the present car park ramp. Today it would have had a Heritage order slapped on it. If I remember any more I'll post it. By the way Freda, I am also located in Cambridgeshire.

The draught beer sold at the Grand was Worthington E in 36 gall hogsheads delivered by British Rail directly from Burton. It had real hops in it and the ceiling of these cellars had a thick layer of these where the beer had 'worked' and squirted out the bung. We went through a lot of these in one week. About '62 or '63 the first cask beer came on the market. It was Watneys 'Red Barrel' and such was the conservative ways of Sheffield's drinkers we had a helluva job selling it. The old guys in the 'Smoke Bar' just refused to buy it. But I did get a nice key ring with a red barrel on it from the rep. There was an extensive wine list. Only one Italian, chianti in a straw flask, and a few German hocks. Bin 70 was 'Crown of Crowns', Bin 76 was 'Blue Nun', Bin 93 was 'Bernkasteler Estate' but as French wines were THE wines of the day the Grand had an excellent list, especially Premiere Cru chateau bottled Bordeaux, top Burgundy's etc. but as I recall only one Rose. I remember wine waiter Tom calling me up to the Dispense Bar when one diner had left half a bottle of Chateau d' Yquem because it was 'too sweet'. Sacrilege!!! 'You've worked hard boy' he said. 'take this downstairs and drink it before it ullages'. Through blokes like Tom and Leslie I learned to appreciate wines and slowly Stone's 'The Fighting Beer', began taking second place when I 'dined out'. Of course then my Sheffield mates, the Mambo, Rendezvous, Havelock Square crowd, some of whom already thought me strange because I had a 'London' accent, considered me to be completely off my trolley. I still have my southern accent, although born in Sheffied way, way, back but my son, born in London works there and lives in Rotherham so perhaps if anyone from the late 50s early 60s remembers the young ex paratrooper nicknamed 'Andy' (him from London) although I wasn't then, who went poofy because he liked wine, well that's why. Very Happy Days!!!!

Does anyone remember the ladies hairdressers upstairs? My mum used to work there and sometimes had to take me into work with her. Anyone remember me, a little girl wandering around the place looking bored? I spent alot of my time sitting on the stairs which led up to the rooms, watching the world go by. The staff were really nice to me and when there was function on like a wedding or something, they would let me watch. Once I got invited in for a while and was given a bit of cake.:)

I remember around '43-'44, myself and a couple of mates, we were about 11 or 12 years old, walking past the Leopold St entrance to the Grand. Lounging around at the top of the steps were these American soldiers, on the pull I suppose. Anyhow, came the cry, ' Got any gum chum? and we proceeded to make nuisances of ourselves. 'Hey kid' one said, 'Hit the road and take off.' I'll never forget it, never heard a saying like that before, and I was the recipient.

So it being after closing time, and our American friends having disapeared inside, we decided to have a look down the stairs to the left, where the bar was. We got down to the bottom of the steps at the same time as the cleaner was doing the toilets, she wanged me round the head with a wet mop, really I didn't have a good day that day.

Arthur Fearn, didn't you mean Teddy BROWN who was chucking his money around?

Just for those who don’t remember him, he was zxylophonist and topped the bill at the Empire Theatre during the war. He was a regular on radio so I went to see him. Boy! Was he obese! But he could certainly move around on the zylophone and sweat poured off him. Went in the Fauteils (0r is it fautiels?) Went with my mother. Dad would have been am embarrassment because when he would book tickets he always asked for “two (or three) in the fart oiles”!