Jumpers for Hens... Could you help?

Hi,

I normally post on the Pet Owners forum but thought I would try here with this slightly odder request :)

I am the Rotherham/ Sheffield Co-ordinator for the North London Hen Rescue, a non-profit organisation dedicated to rescuing and rehoming spent battery hens. You can find more information at http://www.northlondonhenrescue.org.uk

The next rescue is October. Judging by the "oven ready" state of the girls that were rescued in July I think there may be a few that would benefit from a jumper :cool:

This is not a completely bonkers request, although it may look like it... I am completely serious! Patterns can be found at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ex-battery-hens/files/Patterns%20for%20Hen%20Jumpers

There were 54 hens rehomed via myself in July and half of those were in a very poor, featherless state. Those poor ladies were at the bottom of the pecking order and had to fight just to get enough food to keep alive.

If you think you would like to knit a jumper or two for a little baldy please pm me.

Jobi :thumbsup:

Apologies, aparently you are unable to access the patterns without signing into Yahoo.

I'll happily download them and email them to any willing volunteers.

btw, although I am unable to offer any money, I'll happily exchange a few eggs from my rescued ex-batt ladies :D

Jumpers for goalposts yes, but jumpers for Hens? :huh: Could you possible show us a hen in a jumper? Do you have a photograph?

Hello by the way :D

Ha ha, that's a brilliant idea. I'll have a go!

Poor little hens, they have to live in a stinky battery shed then they go bald. I'll definitely knit a jumper for a chicken.

Aw thanks everyone, you're all brill.

pm me your email addy if you don't have access to the link above.

Jobi xx

Well I printed the pattern off today at work and every one wanted to know what I was doing - and they laughed at me!!! :suspect: How very dare they!! One of my colleagues wanted me to forward the pic of the straw hen to him just so that he could send it to some more people to laugh at me! :o

I will carry on regardless!! :hihi::hihi:

Wonder why they laughed Joey :suspect: It's no laughing matter being a cold hen. Is it just the hens that get cold I wonder:huh:

Aw Joey, most of my mates laughed at first when I said I was getting hens, and then again when I did the rescue in July. They soon changed their minds when they saw the pics of the poor things. And I now have a queue of them wanting eggs!

I found out just before the rescue that my mum still bought battery eggs. She knew I had rescue hens from March but mine were fairly well feathered all things considered. I sent her some pics of some of the worst girls from the July rescue and she is now a convert. Like I said to her, a few pence more to buy free range eggs will somewhere along the lines make a lifetime of difference to a little hen :)

But you guys helping out with the jumpers is fab too, it really is appreciated xx

Well, I'm on hen coat #2. The first was a fetching green number.....and this one is a lurid multicoloured thing. You ain't going to lose your chickens wearing this one!!

Cheers, Carrie