Post Offices closures in Sheffield

Should the Council take over Post Offices?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Council take over Post Offices?

• Yes, if the post offices scheduled for closure are needed by the community
    • Yes, but only if the Council thinks the post offices could be made a going concern
    • No

But there are a lot of people who rely on them being there, especially the elderly and people on low incomes - exactly the people who find it difficult to travel further distances.

List of post offices scheduled for closure from the Council website:

Crookes Valley Road Post Office, 213 Crookes Valley Road, S10 1BA

Shalesmoor Post Office, Co-op, Penistone Road Garage, S6 3BN

Western Road Post Office, 365 Springvale Road, S10 1LL

Grimesthorpe Post Office, 133 Upwell Street, S4 8AN

Hatfield House Lane Post Office, 101 Sicey Avenue, S5 0RH

High Wincobank Post Office, 122 Wincobank Avenue, S5 6BB

Southey Post Office, 46 Southey Avenue, S5 7NL

Wadsley Bridge Post Office, Law Brothers Garage, Leppings Lane, S6 1LR

Deepcar Post Office, c/o Videoplus, 232 Manchester Road, Deepcar S36 2RF

Loxley Post Office, 501 Loxley Road, S6 6RQ

Oakbrook Road, 206 Oakbrook Road, S11 7ED

Parkhead Post Office, 336 Ecclesall Road South, S11 9PU

Silverhill Post Office, 143 Ecclesall Road South, S11 9PJ

Derbyshire Lane Post Office, 248 Derbyshire Lane, S8 8SF

Park Grange Post Office, 37 Park Grange Drive, S2 3SF

The Moor

why do people have to rely on them as long as alternatives are put in place, you can now pay bills at loads of other places you can have money paid into other places other than the parcel posting issue that i am sure can be resolved i cant see what services people need that arnt available at other places

... other than the parcel posting issue that i am sure can be resolved i cant see what services people need that arnt available at other places

A package thicker than 2 to 3 inches won't go into a post box, and so has to be taken to a post office. It might cost less than a couple of pounds to post (a second-class packet weighing 500 grams costs £1.63). Courier firms are not interested in such low-cost items, and so the local post office is the only option. Also, what about registered and recorded delivery letters?

But if you compare Britain with other countries, overall we are well-supplied with post offices, and we will be, even after all the closures. For example, in Germany a town with 70,000+ people will only have one post office; here it would have several.

How can the council fight the closures when it was central Govt that asked the post office to close this amount of post offices?

Where campaigns have been successful they have used a lot of information to counter what the post office assessment has said. The Council can act as a useful provider of information - like who lives in the neighbourhood of the post offices, distance they have to travel, what transport is available, etc. The Council can also help co-ordinate information and include information on the ground in the official submission. Hammersmith and Fulham Council successfully objected to the closure of three post offices talked about this at a Local Government Association conference:

"The Council had an intelligent and focussed campaign to oppose closures. Statistics and information was made available by Council to local campaigns. Submissions by Council and TARAs and residents, backed up with clear statistics, helped save post offices.

Facts that saved closure included – areas of high deprivation, lack of reliability of recommended bus routes, lack of financial facilities e.g. for local shops, services to vulnerable people. Postwatch proved that Post Office tried to close a profitable post office (but the Post Office can try to close a profitable post office to divert business to another, thereby making a saving through more 'efficiency'). Local residents have a great deal of swing, especially if tied in with senior political support."

Western Road PO was on the local news this lunch time - there was an interview with a chap who didn't know what he would do as there was no post office anywhere near. I used to live in Crookes a few years back, and there was one approximately 5 minutes walk away at the corner of Crookes Road and School Road; is that already gone now?

what does he mean he wouldnt know what he would do, if he needs money there are banks everywhere and cash machines if he needs to pay bills they take the paycard nearly everywhere now so i am a bit confused as to what he wants to do that only a post office can provide

Western Road PO was on the local news this lunch time - there was an interview with a chap who didn't know what he would do as there was no post office anywhere near. I used to live in Crookes a few years back, and there was one approximately 5 minutes walk away at the corner of Crookes Road and School Road; is that already gone now?

It is still operative - Crookes/School Road, Crookes Road only goes to Lydgate Lane

It's still there according to the Royal Mail website http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/finder;jsessionid=0MPHJFWHBHC2GFB2IGFUPLQUHRAYUQ2K?searchType=postOffice&resultsType=postOfficeSearch&catId=20700386&_requestid=90720

what does he mean he wouldnt know what he would do, if he needs money there are banks everywhere and cash machines if he needs to pay bills they take the paycard nearly everywhere now so i am a bit confused as to what he wants to do that only a post office can provide

Maybe he sells things on eBay and needs to post lots of small packets. If his local P.O. closes he will simply have to travel a bit further.

Perhaps if they were a little more customer-centric, they wouldn't be in the dire state they're in? Name me another retail business that has such restrictive opening hours? Or so few people who's job it is to take my money? Or such poor organisation (time before last I queued for 45 minutes to post a parcel, only be told I couldn't because they'd run of of customs forms!!). If they bucked their ideas up a bit and became the "busy people's post office" I might use them a bit more. It's a shame that they can't get themselves organised enough to take people's money in order to have enough left to effectively subsidise the smaller offices that genuinely act as a service to their communities.

go to Hillsborough

It will be the only one worth going to eventually, just hope they put more staff on.

Thats okay , but sometimes I have 7 or 8 large parcels to post, and I have no idea where to park round there, and I can't carry them all at once, so that would not be an alternative.

There's a car park underneath the Post Office.

Western Road PO is the only I've ever lived near where I could name two others within walking distance - School Rd/Crookes Road on the top of the hill and the Crookes Valley one threatened with closure at the bottom. If both Western Road and Crookes Valley POs closed the School Road PO would be jammed - it's small enough that it's hard to get in/around when there's someone with a pram or 3+ in it as it is! :loopy:

There's a car park underneath the Post Office.

What he says :lol:

Note, thats a FREE car park for post office users.

Let's face it, with over 14,500 post offices in the country, are we really going to miss 2500?