How do you remove marks from patent shoes?

I have some red patent shoes which have got black marks on. I have tried all kinds of substances to remove them but nothing works. I notice on a similar link that somebody suggested vaseline to put on brand new patent shoes to stop them from scratching. Does this also get marks off? A friend suggested white spirit but I'm fightened it may damage them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:? Ooh I don't know but would be very interested to find out!

Try the vaseline - that sounds harmless, but don't try white spirit or nailvarnish remover cos they will probably melt the surface!

I've just googled and found lots of hints & tips websites that recommend using vaseline:

To clean patent leather shoes rub in petroleum jelly and leave for a while to soak in, the buff up with a soft clean cloth. This will not only keep them shiny but also prevent them cracking.

An easy way to clean patent shoes is with Vaseline - the old reliable. Just put a little on a cloth and then wipe off. You could also try a quick spritz of household polish and your shoes will be shiny and good as new!

Don’t bother with commercial patent leather cleaners. All you need is a little olive oil and a couple of soft cloths! Dip a cloth in the oil and rub it over the shoes or bag. Leave for 20 - 40 minutes, then wipe off with a clean cloth. This cleans the leather, keeps it from cracking or scuffing - and costs practically nothing. Seriously: this works a treat.

But the advice on this website looks interesting:

http://www.gomestic.com/Homemaking/How-to-Clean-Patent-Leather-Shoes.55368

Vaseline definitely...:thumbsup: we used it in the fifties on our patent stillettos and it's still the best now.

Metal polish or T-Cut on a soft cloth should do the trick.

how about using a permanent marker pen in the same colour? or lipstick?

Another thing to try with black marks is sticky stuff remover (it's a brand- it really is called that) or WD40.