The Streets - what do you reckon ?

k_enny26

Originally posted by LoopyLou

I liked their first single....dry your eyes mate

seemed like modern urban poetry....

unfortunately, when you listen to the rest of the album it loses its power and starts to feel a bit too samey.

But, if gets youngsters more interested in words and feelings etc, then good luck to them

Dry Your Eyes was not their first single lol, they did another album before A Grand Don't Come for Free (which featured Dry Your Eyes.)

It was called Original Pirate Material and the quality of tracks on there was a hell of a lot better than those on A Grand Don't Come For Free.

Mike Skinner admitted A Grand Don't Come For Free was crap but he said it was something he needed to do.

I like the structure of the second album but it is nowhere near as good as the first one. One thing I do like about the streets is the music. Simple loops and samples and very sparse. They translate to being played on guitar very well.

Originally posted by LoopyLou

I liked their first single....dry your eyes mate

seemed like modern urban poetry....

unfortunately, when you listen to the rest of the album it loses its power and starts to feel a bit too samey.

But, if gets youngsters more interested in words and feelings etc, then good luck to them

I know it's already been said, but are you for real?? Dry your eyes was most certainly not Skinner's first single, it was his 7th! It wasn't even the first release from A Grand Don't Come For Free, there were 2 before it, and there was a whole album before that.

I think what Skinner has done is very simple, but also very clever. I hated him when he emerged, but I often forget to keep an open mind where music is concerned, and once I gave his music time I realised that it was actually very good.

I think I prefer AGDCFF to OPM just because of the concept, although AGDCFF is far more mainstream and feel that he sold out a bit in doing it.

Archived