Homosexuality- is it in your genes or is it a result of what happens to you?

In response to a suggestion in the other thread, I have started this as another topic and I was wondering if anyone can answer the above question, or if they have opinions about it, or even if anyone can talk about their own experiences.

From what I've been told by gay friends/ acquaintances, it seems to be in-built (i.e they knew at a very young age), but they often couldn't express it without being ostracised by family etc. So only the ones with more understanding families could be open about it, leading to the notion that its nurture rather than nature that determines sexuality.

Or so I hear!

It's a fascinating subject. I used to rent a room from a guy who was gay and had an MA in Psychology. Until that point I had assumed it was genetic but his opinion was that it is predominantly decided by childhood experience. Nowadays I think that perhaps there is a genetic predisposition towards a certain emotional sensitivity (I'm making this bit up - I have no idea) but that experience counts more.

This is a common question. I wonder what difference it makes? How it might help (with whatever) to know either way.

It is just to satisfy my own curiosity but if you mean will it help the person, then maybe it would not help if they are happy with their sexuality anyway.

I sometimes try to imagine what it must be like to not want to be with men, but to want to be with women instead and try to imagine what it would be like if all the men were wiped off the face of the earth, then would you feel a closer bond to women.?And vice versa

It is just to satisfy my own curiosity but if you mean will it help the person, then maybe it would not help if they are happy with their sexuality anyway.

I like your differentiating. Yes, I think it might help the person who is gay to know. For the straights who discuss it, how does it help them? Is it more comforting to think it is genetic (and therefore unavoidable)? Or more avoidable to think it is environmental (and therefore more comforting?)

Archived