Christ Church Ecclesall Road

I have a book with the inscription Christ Church Ecclesall Road Sheffield on the fly leaf. Ed. Thos. Hodgson was the Hon Minister in 1914. Can anyone tell me the denomination and if the building still exists please?

Thanks Galena

There is Ecclesall Church, which is on the junction of Ecclesall Rd and Ringinglow Rd - Could this be the one??? I'm not sure what it's actually called!!! Perhaps someone there would know it... :)

From White's 1919/20 Directory....

(Street Index, Ecclesall Road)

[unnumbered] CHRIST CHURCH GOSPEL PROTESTANT MISSION

517 Hodgson Rev. Edward Thos

This is between Bruce Road and Hickmott Road (so on the town side of Hunter's Bar). You can find it (unnamed) on, e.g., the 1906 O.S. map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk with coordinates 433600 385900

Hugh

The church at the junction with Ringinglow Road is All Saints', the Church of England Parish Church for Ecclesall

Hugh

This is between Bruce Road and Hickmott Road (so on the town side of Hunter's Bar). You can find it (unnamed) on, e.g., the 1906 O.S. map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk with coordinates 433600 385900

Hugh

That's a great site, thanks for posting it. A little bit difficult to navigate, but great old maps.

The site of the church is now where La Tasca restaurant is, formerly the site of the Ecclesall Non-Political Club.

Thanks for the link to old-maps. The Alan Godfrey map of Ecclesall and Sharrow for 1903 has the church shown on the 1906 OS map on Old-maps marked as Christ Church. When we visited Sheffield last year this church was still standing as a building complete with its spire so has it recently changed hands to a restaurant?

Galena

Thanks for the link to old-maps. The Alan Godfrey map of Ecclesall and Sharrow for 1903 has the church shown on the 1906 OS map on Old-maps marked as Christ Church. When we visited Sheffield last year this church was still standing as a building complete with its spire so has it recently changed hands to a restaurant?

Galena

It's a different church that is being referred to, galena, which was demolished donkey's years ago.

You're thinking of the Methodist church (Endcliffe Meths?) that stands on the other side of Hickmott Road, betwen Hickmott Road and Neill Road on the bit nearer Hunters Bar.

The non-pots, which stood on the "Town" side of Hickmott Rd, between Bruce Road and Hickmott Road stood there there for many years, until it was demolished about 3 yrs ago, and replaced by flats and the tasca restaurant was a bit further down, nearer the Berkely Shoping Precinct.

The non-pots, which stood on the "Town" side of Hickmott Rd, between Bruce Road and Hickmott Road stood there there for many years, until it was demolished about 3 yrs ago, and replaced by flats and the tasca restaurant was a bit further down, nearer the Berkely Shoping Precinct.

That development on the site of the old non-political club is a great example of how to build new and blend in with the surroundings. It's actually an improvement on what was there before and in a few years time people will have a problem to believe it was built in 2006 rather than 1906.

This church belonged to the 'Reformed Church of England', originating in a breakaway branch of the American Episcopal Church, who mistrusted liberal & catholic developments within Anglicanism -plus ca change!-: my mother's parents were married there in 1917.

Regards,

Geoffrey.:)

I have a photograph of E. T. Hodgson, signed and dated 14th Feb. 1912. He was in correspondence with the preachers of Protestant Truth Society at the time. I would be interested in more information on the Church (Christ Church) when it was established and where Rev. Hodgson came from.

thanks