Any memories of BISRA?

baz52

Has anyone any memories of The British Iron and Steel Research Assoc.?

Hi Baz, Yes I have lots . After spending 7 years at English Steel I worked at BISRA from 1967 until we moved to Teesside in 1976. I worked in SM for Roy Widdowson. Became SM Assistant Tech Sec to Joe Piper about 1970.

Then spent 4 years with Kerry Hill managing the design and build of CAPLAB.

Here are a couple of photos :

BISRA female staff about 1970 - recognise anybody - I know Jenny Atherton, Pat Booth, Renee Mosley, Dorothy Walshaw, Linda Bilson etc - what a bevy of beauties !!

bisrastaff.jpg

This is Ted Fullwoods leaving do at Teesside about 1978

File0134.jpg

Recognise Ted Fullwood, Joe Piper, Don Spenceley, Kerry Hill, the "Brown bears" and Roy Widdowson.

Let me know who yopu are and we can chat more.

Cheers, John Moore

Hi johnpm,

I worked in the mechanical working division as instrumentation engineer and came to Bisra in 1962 from a firm in Chester called Brookhurst Igranic developing an automatic forging press. They were bought out and closed down giving me the choice of coming to Sheffield with the press or going to Rugely. Since I was born in Rotherham I naturally chose Sheffield. I'm afraid the memory dims and I don't remember many names. One little character who worked for me was Frank Wilson who was a brilliant silver smith by trade. The division boss was Tom Johnson and that's about all the people I can remeber. I left in 1965 when they offered me a job running the elctron microscopy lab for BHP in Australia but the wife didn't want to go so I started up my own little business. It was a happy time there working on some fascinating projects and a bit like working in a holiday camp.

Best regards,

Basil Watts.