Please All Dog Walkers Use A Lead

Well trained, properly managed dogs of any breed, under the control of responsible adults, are safe. Any dog which is poorly trained and/or not under proper control can be dangerous. A lead is one form of control, but better control is achieved by having a dog that is trained to respond instantly and without question to the owner's commands under any circumstances.

this is all very true and i good post but i dont think any dog can be 100 percent trusted if dogs came running over to be id be confident my dog would sit and not move if was told to sit and stay,but as with people dogs will only take so much befor they react and you cant say it will not happen with your dog as i cant say it wont with mine

if you are walking your dog in the street it should be on a leash walk my dog alover and would not dream of letting her off her leash on main roads were cars,kids are when taking them for a run in a park or woods then yes they come off

saying you all have proper control over your dogs when not on a lead is the biggest load of crap ive heard all dogs no matter how big or small or how well trained can snap at kids or other dogs if they wish and their is nothing you can do about it

I'm sorry everyone but I really do agree with this, I'm sure that most people meant that their dogs are offlead in a park etc, and I think that is usually expected, so long as the dog can be recalled easily and care is taken to keep them away from dogs on the lead... its only good manners after all.

But one of my pet hates is dogs on the street being walked offlead, the times that dogs have suddenly appeared and piled into mine for absolutely no reason are unbelievable, it has happened so many times now that my dogs can be quite reactive to offlead dogs while they are onlead, I'm not happy about that, nor am I happy when I am dragged around by my dogs pulling to get to some dog on the street who "just has" to come up and sniff their bums when they are obviously unwanted there :mad: on the streets dogs should be on a lead, for their safety and for the safety of other animals and people.

this is all very true and i good post but i dont think any dog can be 100 percent trusted if dogs came running over to be id be confident my dog would sit and not move if was told to sit and stay,but as with people dogs will only take so much befor they react and you cant say it will not happen with your dog as i cant say it wont with mine

I do agree with this and i am under no illusion that my dogs are 100% reliable, i just do my best to give myself and them the tools to manage better and be as safe as possible. I would definately use leads and muzzles etc. all the time if my dogs warranted it.

Nice to hear also that people have the same views about training and when and where to have offlead dogs. Like you moonbird i hate seeing dogs walking by roads without a lead :(.

OK, here's an example of dog control. My springer was walking off the lead in a large open area about 8 ft away from me when I saw two dogs come racing across the grass. He saw them too. I called him to heel and he came immediately and then stopped and stayed while I tried to clip the lead on. As I did, a ?ridgeback and a staffy caught up with us. My dog stayed still as the ?ridgeback sniffed around him and did not respond to the snarling, snapping staffy. As I tried to clip on the lead, the staffy went for me, so I had to stand up to get my hands away from him without clipping the lead on.

One young man ran up and grabbed the staffy by the collar, and all the while he continued to snarl and snap. The other ambled up after some time with leads for both dogs. During all that time, my dog stayed calmly by my side. Once they had the leads on, the young men had to drag their dogs off - neither dog was walking to heel on the lead.

My dog was under control all the time, even when he was off the lead. The other two dogs were not under control, even when on the lead.

In my experience, young men and "hard" dogs are a bad combination. Next down the list are people who have small dogs because they think they make better pets. Apart from odd toy breeds, small dogs rarely make good pets easily, because most were originally bred for ratting, rabbiting, and hunting and like all working dogs need huge amounts of exercise and very firm training. Most terriers are not naturally good with children. A yappy yorkie or jack russell can be quite as aggressive and vicious as a bigger dog - the only real difference is that it can do a limited amount of damage to an adult.

Well trained, properly managed dogs of any breed, under the control of responsible adults, are safe. Any dog which is poorly trained and/or not under proper control can be dangerous. A lead is one form of control, but better control is achieved by having a dog that is trained to respond instantly and without question to the owner's commands under any circumstances.

I agree with your comments. I have a biggish dog and if he had no manners or training i would struggle to manage with or without a lead. And those with very large dogs would surely just get dragged about the lead would make no difference.

if you are walking your dog in the street it should be on a leash walk my dog alover and would not dream of letting her off her leash on main roads were cars,kids are when taking them for a run in a park or woods then yes they come off

saying you all have proper control over your dogs when not on a lead is the biggest load of crap ive heard all dogs no matter how big or small or how well trained can snap at kids or other dogs if they wish and their is nothing you can do about it

amyrach i have nothing against rottys at all and think they are lovely dogs but nether having your dog on a lead if it saw a cat or felt freatend do you rely think you would have full controll of such an animal

1.my dog lives with 2 cats

2.i GUARANTEED full control of my dog

1.my dog lives with 2 cats

2.i GUARANTEED full control of my dog

my dog also lives with cats but no dog can be trusted 100 percent

are you trying to say you walk your dog down the road with no lead and you think you can guarantee it is under full control

OK, here's an example of dog control. My springer was walking off the lead in a large open area about 8 ft away from me when I saw two dogs come racing across the grass. He saw them too. I called him to heel and he came immediately and then stopped and stayed while I tried to clip the lead on. As I did, a ?ridgeback and a staffy caught up with us. My dog stayed still as the ?ridgeback sniffed around him and did not respond to the snarling, snapping staffy. As I tried to clip on the lead, the staffy went for me, so I had to stand up to get my hands away from him without clipping the lead on.

One young man ran up and grabbed the staffy by the collar, and all the while he continued to snarl and snap. The other ambled up after some time with leads for both dogs. During all that time, my dog stayed calmly by my side. Once they had the leads on, the young men had to drag their dogs off - neither dog was walking to heel on the lead.

My dog was under control all the time, even when he was off the lead. The other two dogs were not under control, even when on the lead.

In my experience, young men and "hard" dogs are a bad combination. Next down the list are people who have small dogs because they think they make better pets. Apart from odd toy breeds, small dogs rarely make good pets easily, because most were originally bred for ratting, rabbiting, and hunting and like all working dogs need huge amounts of exercise and very firm training. Most terriers are not naturally good with children. A yappy yorkie or jack russell can be quite as aggressive and vicious as a bigger dog - the only real difference is that it can do a limited amount of damage to an adult.

your saying little dogs are bad with kids ect omg :hihi:

mine is brill best pet ever ....when was the last time you heard news reports ect about the little jack russell that killed or savaged any one ?

the reason i got a terrier is because like people have stated you carnt trust any dog and if by chance she ever turns I could hold her of with one hand and there wouldnt be to much damage could u say the same for your big dogs it would take 2/3 men to get it of or you would have to just watch as it rips some one or something to bits:confused:

my dog also lives with cats but no dog can be trusted 100 percent

are you trying to say you walk your dog down the road with no lead and you think you can guarantee it is under full control

yes i do 100%

mine is brill best pet ever ....when was the last time you heard news reports ect about the little jack russell that killed or savaged any one ?

the reason i got a terrier is because like people have stated you carnt trust any dog and if by chance she ever turns I could hold her of with one hand and there wouldnt be to much damage could u say the same for your big dogs it would take 2/3 men to get it of or you would have to just watch as it rips some one or something to bits:confused:

I was savaged by a Jack Russell as a toddler, and my grandmother,who tried to protect me, was also badly bitten - it had to be put down. See also http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=288282&p=2952361

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/15/nrussell15.xml

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19950313/ai_n13971028

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBreedBites/2007/March/JackRussel0307.pdf

http://iclanarkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/wishawpress/news/tm_headline=thugs-x2019-terriers-savaged-pet-cat-to-death&method=full&objectid=19927872&siteid=50144-name_page.html

To balance that, I have found just one report of a Springer attacking someone, and it was an adult.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20000315/ai_n14282195

I don't think it would take 2/3 men to shift a springer spaniel - it's hardly a big dog. Mine is always kept on the lead on the street and in areas where there are children, in any case, for his own protection. He runs free during daytime walks in open country, the woods or the cemetery where I can see him at all times and call him to order *before* anything happens that could provoke any kind of reaction.

It's probably worth mentioning that people should *always* insure their pets. Even if you think you can afford vets' bills, the public liability insurance is probably the only way that one could ever afford to pay fair compensation if someone is hurt by a dog.

madornay,

we had someone post, only the other day on SF, about a baby in the US that was savaged, and killed by a JRT.

Just Imagine If I Said Would All Dog Owners Please Stop Puting Ur Dog On A Lead As Its Not Nice ...

All The Same People Would Have Still Disagreed With Me As Its The Nature Of Some Folk And When There Done With This Thread They Can Go Back To Peeping Throu The Gap In The Curtains Or Watering The Lawn Like The Bloke In

{{rita Sue And Bob To}}

What Did My Dad Call Them {{harry Opposites }}

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/face_lac_dogbite.html

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Canine-Behavior-3553/2008/1/Springer-spaniel-bit-son.htm

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.2005.227.1594

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=20442220

The English Springer Spaniel has recently become afflicted with a serious personality disorder called "Rage Syndrome". A rare disorder, this syndrome will cause an otherwise normal dog to go into a sudden rage and viciously attack. Should this occur, the English Springer Spaniel will not respond to any commands. This condition has been found to be a form of epilepsy and is treatable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/737630.stm

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/puppy_alert/index.htm