Husband & Company..

Anyone on here worked on the CAPLAB Project in the 1970's? I was full time on that from British Steel for 4 years but based at BISRA building on Hoyle Street. Mr Kington was involved - he was a an ex-BISRA man I think. John Littler was the architect.

Not that I know

Edited by STR948

Hello

I work at Goonhilly Earth station, where Husband and co built our first antenna, Aerial 1.

Does anyone here who worked at Husband and co during the late 50's, early 60's have any technical/engineering drawings for aerial 1?

When BT closed down Goonhilly before we acquired the site, they took all the drawings to the archive where they have been reluctant to give us access to them, even though we own the site and antennas. I have finally got BT to work with us in supplying drawings but that could be many more months or years before they carry this out. If anyone has original drawings they would share with us, we'd be enormously grateful. This would help us finally fully restore the antenna and repurpose it as a radio telescope and secure its future for many more years to come and preserver the great work of Husband and Co

Thank you.

I knew John Littler well when he lived in Crosspool, then Fulwood.  He retired to Norfolk.

I last saw him in 1990 at my parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary.

I worked at Husband and Co..starting work in 1988 as a CAD Draughtsman..great memories, drinking in West End pub on Friday lunch!

Some great characters, I worked on floor 2a, then moved to floor 4 which was near the General Office...great fun...

Some names I remember....please add a comment if you are one of these !

Jan on reception..(awesome!) Eva Straw in computer department (so funny!) Brian Hutchinson (I used to survey Jodrell Bank with him) Tanya Chernetskava? (obviously from Russia)

Dave Webster/Gerry Kelly (Engineers), Mel Kingston (general office manager..Ray Walker? also was Mels boss), Jane & Anne in Print Room? Norman Jackson (longest serving member of staff?), John Pymm (sadly not with us anymore), Dave Morgan (sadly with us!! haha), Camille Chapman, Adrian Wilde (draughtsman), Ray Chesterton, Tony Eyre (QS?), John Simpson (now at Motts?, probably retired?), Paul Johnson (worked on 5th floor), Dave Maltby (Draughtsman), John Fairclough (interviewed me, sadly no longer with us), Sarah Byrne & Karen Varley & Karen Martin (general office), Grainne Gallagher (General Office) ?, Anne Drummond was P.A. to one of the Husbands.

I think QS department was on 3rd floor?, but the 4th floor was where it all happened!

All the folk there were so important in making me the amazing (ha ha) person I am today, it was like a big family..not everyone got on with everyone! but it was very special.

If i remember more names, i'll add them..

Edited by Paul Johnson

We have recently been looking through some items of my deceased in-laws. There are 2 water colour paintings by J. Husband, one is of Haddon Hall and the other depicts the Palace of Chosroes in Iraq, it is accompanied by a hand written note giving details of the buildings construction, plus a cigarette case engraved with the image. We believe these were given to my wifes grandmother, who must have known Mr. Husband through working in an art shop near Sheffield Town Hall.

If any family members would like further details please get in touch.

On 28/01/2021 at 14:17, Sailor Sam said:

We have recently been looking through some items of my deceased in-laws. There are 2 water colour paintings by J. Husband, one is of Haddon Hall and the other depicts the Palace of Chosroes in Iraq, it is accompanied by a hand written note giving details of the buildings construction, plus a cigarette case engraved with the image. We believe these were given to my wifes grandmother, who must have known Mr. Husband through working in an art shop near Sheffield Town Hall.

If any family members would like further details please get in touch.

Hello Sailor Sam,

Only just seen your post regarding your late in-laws' paintings by Joseph Husband.

Would certainly be interested in further details.

Will try to contact you directly, the forum rules only allow this to happen after a member has posted three times. This is my third post!

Hi Everybody

My Name is Robin Bartlett

I wonder if anybody can recall my late (birth) father Ronald E Bartlett
who worked for Husband & co from the late 50s? He was a Chief Civil Engineer, a bridge designer who designed the Bailey Bridge in WW2 and I understand was an engineer on the building of the bridge on the river Kwai for Husband & Sons

I am trying to get some bio info for my dad and was told by the Institute Of Civil Engineers from their archives that among other projects he worked for Husband & Co from 1956 on rebuilding the water and sewage systems in Sri Lanka but their info deadends in 1958 and I really want to find info on him from 1958 till he passed away in 2000

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

Robin

[email protected]

@michaelthoms i live at the old dam keepers house on hurlfield road, the house says "hansworth waterworks 1887" on the front of the house, im desperate for some more information about it and its history, but so far i havent found anything. is there anyone who could point me in the right direction?

thank you for your help.