Pawnbroker Lansdowne Rd

Does anyone remember the name of the pawnbroker on Lansdowne Rd in the 1950`s. We lived in the yard next door and I seem to remember a very unpleasant old man, ( but perhaps he just didn`t like kids)

The shop was very dark with creaky wooden floors

From the 1954 Kellys Directory, there was an A.E.Jowitt pawnbroker at 49 Lansdowne Road.

Tuppie

In 1951 at 49 [next to Club Garden rd]was A E JOWETT [EXORS OF]Pawnbrokers and 3 Club Garden Rd

Alfred E Jowitt was 39 In 1901 [Pawnbroker]

Thanks Tuppie and Hutch, that was amazingly quick

The name Jowett certainly rings a bell

We lived at number 45

I remember playing marbles in the cobbled street outside his shop.

On picture shefield there is the row of houses up to the pawnbrokers under demolition will be your house CHUSTY ?

Wow thats amazing, I had no idea about this site. It is indeed our house two down from the pawnbroker. It`s very sad to see though. One funny thing I will never forget. The landlords were going to instal bathrooms on the top floor, but only got as far as painting the word `bathroom` on the door. I was recently told that the cellars all interconnected, an escape route if the house was bombed but I don`t remember any way through to next door.

Does anyone remember the name of the pawnbroker on Lansdowne Rd in the 1950`s. We lived in the yard next door and I seem to remember a very unpleasant old man, ( but perhaps he just didn`t like kids)

The shop was very dark with creaky wooden floors

you must be posh that end of town they was called popshops at firth park