What is the longest trip via Sheffield Canal?

Bus_Man - Thank you very much for the information.

Me-and-pippo. - There you go then Albert T Smith, trade your bike in for a canoe, then you can go all the way to ... ?

And no fear of the dreaded 'saddle sores' aether.

-----------------------

Me-and-pippo. - I've raced up the canal in my canoe from Broughton Lane to The Canal Basin clocking 2 hrs 43 mins. Finishing next to the last ( I believe he'd sunk!!). The winner had done it in about 45 mins.

He was really pleased to see me finish mainly because he had got frozen waiting for me, When I did arrived he could get off home!! But I got the biggest cheer!!

I doubt if I could fit in the canoes cockpit now!!

Has anyone else Canoed up the Canal?

albert

as a teenager back in the early 70's, i went across the breadth of the canal and back behind the fox house pub on shirland lane in a tin-bath, i can tell you that it was very unstable and how the hell i didn't end up 'in the drink' i'll never know:gag:, i actually fell in 'the cut' swinging on a rope under the bridge at the same place when i was about six years old, i dog paddled back to the towpath- now that was scarey as the water was bloody bright orange:gag::gag:

much cleaner now though:):)

john:)

yo can cut thoughht and industall est whitch take to mexbought beside the cannel then join the river don to the pensis trail which take u to the north bridge in doncaster

Thanks: I'd forgotten about the ' Trans Pennine Walk Route '.

Has anyone left the Sheffield Basin in a boat to ???? (A long way away)?

Bus_Man - Thank you very much for the information.

Me-and-pippo. - There you go then Albert T Smith, trade your bike in for a canoe, then you can go all the way to ... ?

And no fear of the dreaded 'saddle sores' aether.

-----------------------

Me-and-pippo. - I've raced up the canal in my canoe from Broughton Lane to The Canal Basin clocking 2 hrs 43 mins. Finishing next to the last ( I believe he'd sunk!!). The winner had done it in about 45 mins.

He was really pleased to see me finish mainly because he had got frozen waiting for me, When I did arrived he could get off home!! But I got the biggest cheer!!

I doubt if I could fit in the canoes cockpit now!!

Has anyone else Canoed up the Canal?

Many years ago I did the full length from sheffield basin to thorne and it was bloody hard work I was alone and every lock was a nightmare canoe out of water carry all my camping gear and odds and sods back for canoe and it ws not a fibre glass one either it was wood and canvas it took me four days in total it was such a long time ago I cannot remember how long it took for each section

but I can tell you sheffield to rotherham was the hardest part

Many years ago I did the full length from sheffield basin to thorne and it was bloody hard work I was alone and every lock was a nightmare canoe out of water carry all my camping gear and odds and sods back for canoe and it ws not a fibre glass one either it was wood and canvas it took me four days in total it was such a long time ago I cannot remember how long it took for each section

but I can tell you sheffield to rotherham was the hardest part

But you now have got lovely memories!! Better than sat at home watching the Goggle box.

Did you ever get round to joining the Sheffield Canoe Club?

Whilst I was a member I always came last, or next to last, in all the events.

I never capsized un-intentionally whilst in my canoe. A man at ' Viking ' in the Sheffield Canal Basin made it and I had some very happy times in it.

These days if I got in the **** pit, I would have to be cut out of it!!

Archived