Steve Bennetts penalty decision

daftlad

Did anyone what that incompetent buffoon reffing that match last night. The penalty decision when the bloke was looking straight at the ball, was absolutely ridiculous. The liner more than 40 yards away gives the correct decision. Time Bennett was stood down forever as a ref, his eyesight is so poor. He also gave a few more baffling decisions as well last night. I think the players last night showed great restraint last night with such a complete idiot in charge of a match

The bloke made a mistake,admitted it and changed the wrong doing,should be applauding him rather than slagging him off

If you saw the incident you will see Youngs hand a couple of inches away from the ball when it hit the bar and from a distance it would have looked like hand ball

Well done to the ref and assistant

Why didn't he consult the linesman before 'awarding' the penalty?

No, prefers the more 'Look at me, I'm the ref' approach, doesn't he?

Agreed there, he is a premiership ref and such a conceited one at that, the type of ref who thinks people have gone to a game to see him. I still cannot believe how he could even think it was a penalty given the view he had. Tv replays showed him in a good position following the flight of the ball. Should have gone to specsavers eh

I applaud his courage in having a change of heart upon consulting the linesman.

But he could have avoided this and the ire of the home support by consulting with him in the first place.

I honestly think most Premier League referees (and a good number not in that league) must subscribe to every Sunday newspaper so they can lie in bed and read about themselves and their inept performance the day before.

"Ah great, look, they're talking about ME! I'm even mentioned in the editorial and been voted Worst Ref Of The Week!"

It's an obvious point but most people seem to miss it; a referee only gets to see an incident once in real time from one angle and has to make his decision purely on his viewpoint. No slow-mo replays, no variety of angles, no panel of "experts" (who've never reffed a game in their lives) in the studio to help him.

The "penalty" in the Hull-Villa game would have looked like a handball from Bennett's point of view so he shouldn't be castigated for blowing up. In this case the linesman had a better view, flagged up to Bennett that he should be consulted and ultimately the correct decision was made.

Why then has this become a ref-bashing thread?

Bennett pointed to the spot before consulting the linesman.

The awarding of the penalty and subsequent change of heart could have been avoided if, upon seeing the linesman's flag, he went up to enquire as to what the infringement had been.

That's the problem here. But anyway, we all know that Steve Bennett is as useless as the majority of his cohorts at his job hence a bit of 'ref-bashing'.

HE put HIMSELF in a situation which was clearly of HIS making which could and should have been avoided.

Bennett pointed to the spot before consulting the linesman.

The awarding of the penalty and subsequent change of heart could have been avoided if, upon seeing the linesman's flag, he went up to enquire as to what the infringement had been.

That's the problem here. But anyway, we all know that Steve Bennett is as useless as the majority of his cohorts at his job hence a bit of 'ref-bashing'.

HE put HIMSELF in a situation which was clearly of HIS making which could and should have been avoided.

Refs make split second decisions,some are wrong and some are right,until the use of video technology is introduced then it's not going to change

Yes Bennet pointed to the spot before consulting the linesman and yes he made a mistake but at least he undid the mistake unlike many others