Car advice Clio with Immobiliser problems

Hi,

I have a 2000 W reg Clio and basically I have an immobiliser problem and the car won't start.

It's currently at a garage who have suggested getting a new key from the dealer (very expensive), but I've been told it's possible to have the immobiliser disabled. Does anyone know who can do this?

Also I've heard it is possible that the ECU can be changed (please bare with my I am not mechanically minded and am just repeating what I have been told). I have seen a site online where I can get a new one but I've been told by one person they are very hard to change (and expensive) and another that it's a pretty easy job and shouldn't cost too much.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thank you

Edited by Sallylizzie
spelling

that would be just to reproggramme the key i would imagine

That can't be done, ok here's where I appear really clueless but.... something that's been done to to car means the key can't be reprogrammed 2 auto electrician have looked at it and it appears something has been removed behind the steering column that prevents the reprogramming of the key.

That can't be done, ok here's where I appear really clueless but.... something that's been done to to car means the key can't be reprogrammed 2 auto electrician have looked at it and it appears something has been removed behind the steering column that prevents the reprogramming of the key.

sounds like you are being fobbed off to me, was it working before? have you removed anything? have you paid these two "auto electricians"?

I've had problems with is starting since I bought it in Feb, there's always been a knack to getting it started and I did a bit of searching and from reading I suspected it was the immobiliser.

The garage where it is, is extremally reliable and have no reason to suspect the garage is wrong in what they say. It is a cat C write off and I've had nothing but problems with it since I got it.

As for the electricians, I haven't paid anything, the garage (where my car was towed on Monday) got them in and I haven't/won't be charged for their service. I've not removed a thing, I wouldn't even know how to, all I can do is a basic tyre change/pressure check and put new oil in, this is where my mechanical talents stop.

Edited by Sallylizzie
spelling