"Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids"

Interesting to read this thread.

My Grandfather, Horace Stubbs was a Senior executive of the Order of Druids, based mostly in Sheffield but also in other surrounding towns up until the 1960s. My (hazy) memory tells me that the later offices were on Northumberland Road. I have memories of visiting these as a child and being given lots of envelopes with old stamps (many of them Victorian) and curiously, an Indian Army bayonet that my Grandfather found in one of cupboards !

Horace had been a miner at based at Royston until being called up for World War I Service and being wounded. After the war, the family story goes that he vowed never to go down the pit again, used to walk to evening classes in Barnsley to improve his general education, and got himself an administrative job with the Druids.

It is [possible that he is on one of Hilsboro's photos...I'l have a careful look and a think !

No, I've had a careful look and I don't think he is there.

One thing I do remember about the Sheffield Equalised Order of Druids is that during the late 50s nd early 60s they produced lots of "giveaway" merchandise like pencils and books of matches. These were quite beautifully produced. Our house was full of them ! The main advertising pitch was the theme of insurance and a small lump sum to look forward to in the future for 1 shilling per week ! "The Druids" used to organise regular staff excursions. I remember being taken on one to South East England during which the coach arrived at the then still unfenced Stonehenge, where, to much hilarity "Brother Maurice" underwent a mock sacrifice under the blade of my Grandfather's (Sheffield made) penknife !

Hi dfss - welcome to the Forum!

It's very interesting to read about your family links with the Druids in Sheffield. I will follow up the link with Northumberland Road - this isn't far from Wilkinson Street where the Druids were based at one time. As a stamp collector (and regional rep. for the Royal Philatelic Society) I was interested to learn about the old envelopes with Victorian stamps - I don't suppose you still have them, though!

By the way, I imagine you have researched your family history but I may have found your grandfather in the 1911 census - he is shown as a 14 year-old "pony driver" at 25 Dove Street, Royston with his family, his father Charles being a pit deputy.

I will call at the Local Studies Library when I am next in Sheffield and see what I can find out. Many thanks!.:)

Hi Hillsbro.

Yes, that is him in the 1911 census.

No, sorry the stamps are long gone but most of them were "victorian penny reds", victorian halfpenny oranges and violets; plus hosts of Edwardian and later penny reds browns etc. One interesting item was a folding letter dated 1844 without a postage stamp but with an official hand stamp from Nantwich (I think) describing the payment of £10 to one Samuel Stubbs on the death of his wife. My Grandfather had kept this apart so I guess it might have related to someone in his family.

I'd be interested to know of anything you find concerning he Northumberland Road offices. I think right at the end of his career, around 1970, the Northumberland Roa office ws closed and I think the administration was moved to Mexborough.

Hello again Hilsbro....

Just been looking at the Druids postcard you found on e-bay. It is just possible that Horace Stubbs is the man in the large white flat cap standing in the foreground directly in front of the right hand edge of the banner as you are looking at it. Got my wife to have a look too, and she like me thinks it a distinct possibility though we can't be sure. We thought the photo might have been taken in the late 20s ? If so, Horace would have been about 30 or 31. I think that he began to work for the Druids in 1918.

Also the regalia I do remember well. When Horace died there was lots of it in his house; both Druidical and Masonic. In later life Horace was a prominent Sheffield Freemason; I like others in this thread wonder if there was a connection between the two organisations; perhaps at an unofficial level.

I've just been looking in some old directories and it seems the Druids moved around a bit, and there may indeed have been a split in the order (see for example posts #4 and 5 on this thread). The 1925 directory finds the "Sheffield Equalized District Order of Druids" at 93 Queen Street, and the "Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids" at 35-37 Suffolk Road. There was also the "Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids Approved Society" at 6 Randall Street.

The 1942 directory shows the "Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids" in Corporation Street, Rotherham, and the "Sheffield Independent Equalized Friendly (Approved) Society at 29 Birchvale Road, Frecheville.

Thanks for looking Hillsbro....

I wish I could remember the exact name of the Druidical branch that Horace worked for. There is unfortunately no-one left of that or the next generation to ask. I kind of remember that it was the "Ancient Order of Something Something Druids" but really I can't say now.

Thanks once again

...It is just possible that Horace Stubbs is the man in the large white flat cap standing in the foreground directly in front of the right hand edge of the banner as you are looking at it.
Here is a high-resolution scan of this part of the photo.

...In later life Horace was a prominent Sheffield Freemason; I like others in this thread wonder if there was a connection between the two organisations; perhaps at an unofficial level.
It certainly seems that the Druids and the Freemasons have many similarities and perhaps some people were members of both organisations. The Druids don't seem to have generated the same sort of negative publicity that has been associated with the Freemasons - perhaps as they are a much smaller group.

Thanks Once Again Hillsbro...

re the photo....still difficult to be certain partly because if it is indeed Horace it would be the earliest photo I have of him. The chin is right, and the ears, and he did have a prominent nose. I will, with your permission, save the scan and show it to my brother when I next see him.....I think he may have some photos of Horace from the 20s and 30s.

Thanks very much for taking such trouble on my behalf....very much appreciated !

Hi Hillsbro....

I have been trying to respond to the personal message you sent but for some reason I can't get the respond facility to work.

Your offer is extremely generous but I'll only take you up on it if it does seem to be Horace. My broher is away on holiday at present but I will show him the scan on his return and see what he thinks. He has most of the old family stuff.

Thanks once again