High Storrs School... What were the forms?

Snook

I was trying to remember what the names of the forms were in the early 90's... I remember the houses were called Smith and Stephenson, but couldn't remember how the form names were made up.... somthing like sp1dk? I dunno, can anyone help?

Sounds about right with Sm representing Smith house. Presumably the dk has some reference to the form tutor's name eg Dunkerly.

The 1 would be what became known as Year 7.

I was in Hf 4S in the 4th year...

Hoffmann house, year 4, form tutor, mr Sale

Ken (KB) Sale was Head of Science, who before joining the staff at HS, had taught Geoffrey Boycott - Science and rugby - at Hemsworth Grammar School.

When there were four houses, sets were also determined by 'bands'. Herring pupils merged with Cary; Hoffmann with Cattliff. Later changes were such that Herring became Stephenson, Cary became Warner, then the two-house system came into being under Stephenson and Smith. Ollie Smith having taken over Hoffmann House on Mr.Hoffmann's retirement.

Ken (KB) Sale was Head of Science, who before joining the staff at HS, had taught Geoffrey Boycott - Science and rugby - at Hemsworth Grammar School.

When there were four houses, sets were also determined by 'bands'. Herring pupils merged with Cary; Hoffmann with Cattliff. Later changes were such that Herring became Stephenson, Cary became Warner, then the two-house system came into being under Stephenson and Smith. Ollie Smith having taken over Hoffmann House on Mr.Hoffmann's retirement.

Mr Sale was my form tutor in my 2 O' level study years.(4th and 5th form) He taught my biology class which (thank you, Mr Sale!) I got a very good pass in. (a 98% I think- it's such a long time ago!)

What I remember vividly from his class was how he had this unerring ability, when he had his back to the class, writing on the board, to hear the talkers.

Well, hearing the talkers wasn't really his skill.

His skill was to whirl round with the chalk in his hand, and, as he whirled, to launch the chalk directly at the culprits, bringing their attention back to the lesson.

Mr Herring retired, whilst I was still a pupil there, his house was, as you say, taken over by Mr Stephenson. Mr Hoffman didn't retire until some time after I left.

I didn't know Mr Sale's history. That's fascinating, that he taught GB at Hemsworth - wow! What a dark-horse!

• 2 years later...

oh my goodness how the memories come flooding back reading these old posts, my "fav" teacher was Mr Stephenson second Mrs Warner thirdly Miss Russell but one who out shone them all was MISS JENNI BOOTH, whom I visited when her beloved mother was ill.

I nursed if I remember her name properly as she married twice Mrs Pollard she died in the nursing home in walkley where I was working around 2003 I think was her name when she taught at High Storrs, and yes I also remember Mrs Porter, Mr Towel (whom the boys well naughty boys Hated), Mr Vardy, Mr Herring, oh wow the lists is endless, I used to enjoy Mr Wright's German Class "Ich Laufe Laut wen Ich die Klasse komme, wen Ich in die Klasse Komme Laufe Ich Laut", I think that is how it spelled I just remember the saying. ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by delrosa
spelling errors and missing info