WW1 Sheffield men

Yes there was Linnet, off the top of my head there is one for St Johns and also the Park Wesleyan one. Images i have.

Hi Dean

As promised here are the details of our grandfather who lost his life in WW1 and as we came to discover is buried in Alexandria, Egypt.

BORN 3.9.1881

MARRIED, RESIDED 5, PARKHILL LANE, PARK, SHEFFIELD

EMPLOYED BY L & N W RAILWAY. GOODS CHECKER.

JOINED K.O.Y.L.I. 2nd. SEPTEMBER 1914. NO.12245.

TRANSFERED TO RNVR. 13th. OCTOBER 1914. DRAKE BATTALION. D. COMPANY. ACTING ABLE SEAMAN. KW 465.

WOUNDED @ DARDANELLES 28. 5 1915 [RND LIST NO.72] TAKEN BY HOSPITAL SHIP SICILIA TO ALEXANDRIA GREEK HOSPITAL

DIED 1.7.15 BURIED @ CHATBY MILITARY CEMETERY, ALEXANDRIA. GRAVE NO.1131.

Do you require photos? We also have details and photographs of the headstones in the same Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery at Chatby in Alexandria of 4 others who belonged to the Yorks & Lancs Regiment. Do you want details?

Hi Dene, I have 3 great uncles who died in WW1. One born in Shefffield and 2 at Hemingfield nr Wombwell although when they were in the war, the family had moved to Sheffield. Would you be interested in these two also? I do have information on them all. I have looked through your folders in the Local studies but there isn't any info on them in there.

Good Luck with the project,

Carose

Hi Linnet, thanks for the info but what was his name please ? Would definately like any images you have .

Hi carose, yes please to anything you have.

regards

Dean.

Hi carose, yes please to anything you have.

Hi Dene, As I have quite a bit of info on each soldier, is there any way to get it to you other than putting it on the forum. I am thinking of photo's, docs etc. It might take me a week or two to get it all together and I am going away for a week in a couple of weeks. I will be in the archives every Tuesday, the week after they re-open on the 5th, so can always leave anything there for you.

hi trw

yes go for it with the Serre pictures, excellent.

the link didn't work so ill do a quick search of the forum later

thanks for that

Dean

HI Dean1, my uncle fell in France ,but l don't know when, all l can say is his name, Albert Fearnehough, born and bred in Sheffield, if you come across any details l would appreciate an answer. all the best with your project Cheers Arfer Mo. Edited by Arfer Mo
ie wrong way round

Hello carose, thanks for that, when you get it all together let me know and we'll sort something out.

Arfur Mo,

no Albert Fearnehough on CWGC ?

There are papers for an Albert Fearnehough on Ancestry, No. 080977, Army Service Corps. Wife Edith, children Stanley and Edward. Lived at 36 Cross Bedford street. He died in 1924.

Dean.

Edited by dean1

Hi Dean

Further details of our paternal grandfather for you.

Harold Owen Gummer

d.o.b. 14.08.1888

Regiment: Coldstream Guards 2nd Battalion Rank: Guardsman Service No: 18103

Survived but lost a leg in the conflict and suffered burns to face from mustard gas in France. Died 03.04.1950

Will scan pics and forward them to you.

Regards

Hi Dean

The following headstones are in CWGC in Chatby, Alexandria, Egypt. All Yorks & Lancs but obviously no evidence that they were Sheffield men but I thought there might be link somewhere in your listing.

[1] PRIVATE E.M. HARRIS 10785

YORK & LANCS.

20th. AUGUST. 1915.

[2] PRIVATE JOHN MORRIS 15292

YORK & LANCS.

15th. AUGUST I915. AGE 19.

[3] PRIVATE E. WARD.11385

YORK & LANCS.

AUGUST 1915

[4] CORPORAL R. LONSDALE. 3/4775

YORK & LANCS.

14th. NOVEMBER 1915.

ALL BURIED @ CHATBY, ALEXANDRIA. EGYPT

We have pics if you need them.

Regards.

Hi Linnett, thank for that, much appreciated. Would like the WARD and LONSDALE images please as they are Sheffield men. I Look forward to the pics.

Could you give me the name of your grandfather that died and is buried in Egypt ?

Dean.

Hello carose, thanks for that, when you get it all together let me know and we'll sort something out.

Arfur Mo,

no Albert Fearnehough on CWGC ?

There are papers for an Albert Fearnehough on Ancestry, No. 080977, Army Service Corps. Wife Edith, children Stanley and Edward. Lived at 36 Cross Bedford street. He died in 1924.

Dean.

HI Dean1 Thats him ,l never had many details before as Aunt Edith remarried Thnk you for that Arfer Mo

Hi Dean

Can you forward email add to forward pics to. Thanks.